Norwegian Epic Cruise Review by janeab: Solo traveller on Epic

Solo traveller on Epic

Sail Date: July 2012
Destination: Europe - Western Mediterranean
Embarkation: Barcelona

Comparing prices with a land based holiday for a solo traveller it was a no brainer to choose a single cabin on Epic. No extra surchage. Have never had holiday on my own but having cruised before knew that I would be far safer onboard ship. If you are considering a holiday on your own do Epic. I would highly recommend everything about this ship. We were well catered for.

The solo cabins are so well designed I never felt claustrophobic, the lighting is a clever trick, appears like daylight coming into the room. As per previous threads - use the baskets under the bed for storage. I had to ask for beach towel and hairdryer as these were not in room when I arrived, were delivered soon after.

I had booked 3 excursions via the excellent Cruise Critic website and enjoyed brilliant trips with Aldos Limos ( Naples) Simply Amalfi ( Livorno) and Share a Shore ( Best of Rome)Shared the cost with others and had amazing trips - highly recommended. I did not use the trips offered by More the ship. Cannes, took the tender to shore and hopped on little white train ( good) then took a boat to St. Margaret Island ( offers great views of Cannes )At Marseille it is too far to walk from ship so they offer coaches and charge your account. The harbour at Marseille will be lovely at some time but for now is covered in wire fencing as they are working on it. Took little white train ( get there early or you will be in a queue)and took the trip to the church at the top. Well worth it and stunning views.

We had a solo organiser ( Viani)to help introduce ourselves and arrange a table so we could eat together if we wanted. Sometimes I did but as the table was booked for an early reservation sometimes I ate alone in the Manhattan as it was too rushed to make it if I had been on a trip. You need to try to get to Manhattan earlier rather than later otherwise you will be sat for what seems an eternity between courses - not good when you are on your own ! I asked to sit by window and managed this on two occasions which is better ( even had added bonus of seeing an energetic dolphin when we sailed out of Rome )

I loved everything about this happy ship - danced till past two one night, joined up with other solos in O'Sheehans most nights. We laughed till we cried and had a brilliant time. Thank you my fellow solo's for making this a holiday to remember. Just wish the alcohol wasn't so expensive - although to be fair the measures are generous.... and would rather tip staff who I think deserve it than for it to be put on my bill ( you can ask for it to be reduced but they dont make the process easy I believe...)I would definatley go NCL again and would recommend this cruise to anyone. Less

Read more Norwegian Epic cruise reviews >>