Norwegian Pearl Cruise Review by cjlgd9603: Our First Freestyle Cruise

Family & Children 3.5

Compare Prices on Norwegian Pearl Eastern Caribbean Cruises

Our First Freestyle Cruise

Sail Date: April 2012

This was our first Freestyle Cruise and we thought it was great. The whole family loved wearing shorts at dinner. It was great not having to pack extra clothes and shoes to dress up for dinner. The freedom to eat wherever, whenever was great! It allowed my teenager to just go off with her new friends and have dinner. We eat early so we never had to wait. We even booked some specialty restaurants hours prior. La Cucina is exceptional, especially for such a small cover ($10 if I rammer correctly). The food and service was very good in the main dining rooms as well. My 9 year old son loved the Ice Cream -- I think he had two or three ice cream cones a day.

The staff was great and by mid week everyone knew the washy washy song and the teens loved it. We had to tip our room steward additional $$$ because he so good to us.

We had a great time bowling on the ship, rock climbing, playing basketball, ping pong and bingo. We were always able to find something to do More on the Pearl.

We didn't find a lot of time to see the shows because my son was knocked out by 9pm most nights (we run hard in the ports). The Frankie Valli tribute group was very good. We enjoyed it much more than I thought we would.

The ports of call where great! Great Stirrup Cay is a great private Island and they are working on it to make it even better. Climbing Dunns River Falls in Jamaica was the craziest family event we have ever done and we have parasailed and zip lined in Haiti. We really loved Cayman Island -- It was definitely hot, beautiful and easy to get around with good shopping and food. We went to Paradise Beach in Cozumel which was a short taxi ride away with plenty to do and they served you drink and food right at your lounge chairs. The tender process in Great Stirrup and Cayman were smooth.

We found most things to be reasonably priced comparative to other cruises we have been on. The shopping on board was the only maybe negative - not quite as much as we have seen on other ships, but that probably saved me a ton of money. As it turns out there is less shops because of the bowling alley.

We had a picture window room and we found it to be spacious enough for the four us (including a 15 year old teenage girl). Everything was in good working condition and the room didn't have too much wear.

If you are thinking of booking a cruise on the Pearl, you should find it to be clean, fun and containing a friendly staff that strives to serve. You will have a great time. Less

Read more Norwegian Pearl cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Pearl Review >>

Cabin review: Norwegian Pearl

We took a taxi ride to Paradise Beach Club - about 20 minutes and $15 or so. There was a small cover and a charge to use all the amenities - also around $15. You get to play on the water toys, snorkel gear, kayak, there was a land trampoline, lounge chairs on the beach, a pool with a bar and they served you right at your lounge chair. Very nice. It would have been a five, but the snorkeling right off shore was a waste of time as the water was very merky, but since it was my son's first snorkel experience he still enjoyed it. Cozumel probably has the best prices shopping wise. Very inexpensive stuff.
Read 3099 Cozumel Reviews

We used the bus service to get us to the public access at Seven Mile Beach. The bus station is a short walk from the tender drop off. If you want to just sit and relax on a beautiful beach, this is the way to do it. There is a small water park (trampoline, slides, etc.) for $20 per person. The 9 son year old loved it. The shopping back in George Town was very good. A lot of good shops and we ate overlooking the water and had some island beer - Caybrew. The food was excdellent too.

Nice Private beach. We got there early (3rd tender call) and got a lounge chair in the front row right at the water near the Hippo water slide wich my 9 year old son loved. The shopping was okay - same local island stuff you find on the Islands.

Cave Tour

(4)
We had a tour of the Green Grotto caves. It was pretty neat. Part of the caves were once used as a night club. Wild to think about. The caves themselves are a home to many bats. It was a nice excursion, but not terrific even though our guide was great! The rum punch at the end was a nice part of the tour!

Dunn's River Falls

(5.5)
Okay. Beautiful! Crazy climbing the falls! I am very atheltic and fit and I bit the dust once. It was the most amazing family event we have done. This is the TO DO if your port is Ocho Rios