Carnival Glory Cruise Review by CheshireFeline3

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Carnival Glory Cruise Review by CheshireFeline3
Carnival Glory
Cabin Category: 6A
        7-9 5+
        10-12 5+
Rates 5+

A relaxing four day getaway
Our family had a great time aboard the Carnival Glory. Not everything was perfect, but we had such a good time, my kids and husband are hooked on going on another cruise.

Staff: Most of the crew usually had a smile and a greeting and were fairly friendly and helful. Our wait staff while not being overly warm, were efficient and fairly quick, never raising an eyebrow if we ordered more than one entree or appetizer.

Food: As other reviewers have said, hit or miss. Fish and Chips, deli and burrito bar were all good. Desserts on the buffet were what you would expect, pretty but overall not very flavorful. Ice cream was pretty low budget, but at least plentiful. MDR had some wonderful items, we really liked the cold soups. Main dishes could be very much like banquet food, but not awful, just not super wow either. Desserts were always good, including the very tasty chocolate melting cake and creme brule on the first night. Food overall was fair to good.

Deck Chairs: If you weren't looking to sit next to the pool or at the Serenity Deck, we never had a problem finding deck chairs toward the aft section of the boat. I didn't really see any chair hogs, most people were actually sitting in their chairs! Staff would put out more chairs as they were needed.

Atmosphere: People were definetly drinking lots and having a good time. Aside from a group of guys near our cabin that were over the top awful, no one seemed all that bad. Everyone seemed polite and just chilling out.

Camp Carnival: We have 2 girls, 9 and 11 and they both enjoyed going to Camp Carnival, and looked forward to seeing their schedule each day. They were old enough to sign themselves out and they loved having the freedom to wander around the boat and get their own snacks when they wanted them. Kids on board seemed well behaved overall, we didn't have any problems.

Pools: I must admit I avoided all the pools except for the one in the spa. After all day they looked kinda scary and were fairly crowded. The adults only aft pool seemed more peaceful though, and I didn't see any kids sneaking in either.

Port of St. John: We rented a car from Avis right down the street from the pier for $45. The best money we could have spent. We drove ourselves to St. Martins, a very nice scenic drive, and went to the Sea Caves. We missed the Fundy Bay Parkway, which looked incredible, but we spent too much time at St. Martins to really see it to its full advantage. On the way back we stopped at Tim Hortons, I was expecting Dunkin Donuts, but it was so much better! Excellent coffee! The whole cost for this adventure was just the rental car and we got to stay as long as we liked. I personally would skip the ship board excursions in St. John, we were there with them, but they left after only a half hour. Most of their trip was just the ride over, and for that they had the privelege of paying 65 pp.

Shows and entertainment: The shows were cheesy, but I thought the dancers and the singers were good. Kids made us sit in the front side row so lots of butt vision, but no big deal. My complaint is that the Love and Marriage show is not showroom entertainment, I would have preferred a magic show or anything. Adult comedy was a little lacking. I was really looking for something a little more adult, not just asking people what they did for a living. The kids did love the family show however.

A note on embarkation, when you get the email to arrive at 1:30 ignore them and try to arrive by 10:30. We did and were on the ship at 11:00 enjoying an empty Lido buffet! Either wear a bathing suit under your clothes or bring one in your carry on, and you can swim in an empty pool for a little while.

This was kind of a budget getaway for us, and it didn't disappoint in that regard. My husband and I got in plenty of relaxation, and the kids had some independance and fun on their own, a new concept for us.

I know some people have had horror stories, but I would do this cruise again, and would recommend it to others. I went in with not super high expectations, but we really enjoyed ourselves!

Publication Date: 07/18/12