Oosterdam Cruise Review by Muffinis#1

Cruise Date: July 2012
Embarkation: Seattle
Destination: Alaska
Cabin Category: VD
See More About: Oosterdam Cruise Reviews | Alaska Cruise Reviews | Holland America Cruise Deals
Public Rooms 5+

Ship Facts: Oosterdam Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Oosterdam Deck Plans
A little disappointed
We took our cruise on July 8th and we got back on July 15th, this was our 1st on Holland America. I had all high hopes and good thoughts for this cruise because I have wanted to go to ALASKA my whole life and was finally going. So I am going to do this review in groups and cover all that I can and I am going to be totally honest, don't want to make anyone mad or think all I am going to talk about is the bad stuff... here goes....Carla and Blue's trip to ALASKA on the OOSTERDAM.....

Embark Day---- we arrived in Seattle about 11:30 and was picked up by the shuttle around 12:30 we arrived at the pier at 1:00 and got in line at 1:10 we were on the ship by 2, yes it took a while but there was alot of people there. I think it went pretty smooth a little slow but once we got to the counter it was fast from then on....

Cabin----- we went to our room 1st to put down our carry on's and our luggage was already in the room.. I was very shocked about this and happy because I was worried (there was another ship in port) that it would take a while, very happy.. we checked out our room, HAL assigned us a handicap room which we didn't ask for and it was a very good size, I loved our bathroom, No tub but the easy of just pulling a shower curtain and having all that room. Our sink was a little small but it did just fine. I loved the shampoo and hair conditioner and I liked the shower gel but my husband didn't he said it was to strong smelling.

Our bed was GREAT!!!!! I Don't think I have ever slept so good and sound (even with all the doors slamming and kids running in the hall). We loved our balcony It just adds so much to the room and the beauty of the Mountains views..

Food----- this is 1 subject that has so many different views but for us, we were pleased with the food. Breakfast was our favorite we got room service every morning but 1 we love the peace of having it brought to the room and not having to fight all the people so early in the morning. We ate most of our meals in the Lido and had No real complaints the food was always hot same with room service always hot BUT---- I was disappointed with the hours they had. And the dessert could have been a little more sweeter, LOVED THE ICE CREAM..We loved the black forrest raspberry cake...

Tracy Arms---THIS RIGHT HERE IS WHAT GOT ME SO UPSET!!!!! THE mtns. was great with snow on them but we only saw one glacier far away and that was it!!! I know they have to be careful and it is our safety they put first but I just had in my mind that we would be up close and see alot of glaciers and icebergs and some sea life and animals (at the airport on the way home a woman who was on the Princes showed me some of her pictures of Tracy Arms and they got right on top of the glaciers and she said they stayed there a long time). So I don't know what happened made some of the other people on the ship with us knows but I was really disappointed, I asked 1 man at the front desk and he said you have to take a small boat out to see it up close... SO I DON'T KNOW.

I didn't see any whales either I guess it just wasn't my time for Alaska I was expecting to much and I know this isn't HAL's fought but I did feel like they could have done better with the glaciers...Ok on to something else.

We didn't pay for any extra tours or site seeing, we live on a very tight budget so going to Alaska was all we could do this time, BUT don't get me wrong Tracy ARMS was beautiful I was expecting more..

THE SHIP--- the ship was beautiful, the shops on board were priced good I thought and we got a few drinks in the evening buy one get the second for a dollar, I think they make good mixed drinks...

But I was a little disappointed in how small I thought the ship was, there is not alot of outside space and not a lot to do on sea days...

WORKER ON BOARD--- I LOVED OUR STEWARDS, I LOVED THE PEOPLE WORKING ON BOARD, THE PEOPLE AT THE FRONT DEST, EVERYONE WAS SO NICE AND HELPFUL AND ALWAYS WANTED TO SPEAK AND TALK WITH YOU.

Publication Date: 07/16/12