Oasis of the Seas Cruise Review by mkb03: What you need to know before you book or board

mkb03
Member Since 2007
1 Post

Compare Prices on Oasis of the Seas Western Caribbean Cruises

What you need to know before you book or board

Sail Date: July 2012

I traveled with my son and his wife who are in their twentites, my 18 yeard old daughter and her boyfriend and my mother in her seventies. My husband and I are in our late forties.

Pre Cruise
Book all of you shows and reservations for dinner and excursions BEFORE your trip.
If you do not I can guarantee you will either wait in long lines or not get in at all.
Review your stateroom details carefully. My four guests ended up in the 3 person room and the 3 guests in the four person room. I did not catch this until 2 days before we sailed and it could not be fixed due to already printing our sea pass documents. Could not fix it when I boarded either.

We arrived at 10:30 am. They did not start boarding until AROUND 11:30-12:00.
Those who arrived first boarded first.
Since all our paperwork including waivers ect were completed prior it was a breeze.

Rooms-Smaller then I remember other cruise ships(when the sofa bed was pulled More out we had to crawl over it to get to the balcony) but there was enough storage for all our stuff. Under the beds were good places for the suitcases.
No plug in the bathroom which is odd. If 2 women trying to get ready with curling irons and blowdryers its difficult.
Shampoo dispenser in the shower. Only conditioner in small bottles if you call for it. Better off bringing it.
Air conditioning was an issue on this ship in all places, especially the rooms.
Probably set on 75 or more. Very warm when dressed up or trying to get ready.
It shuts off everytime you open the balcony door, if you dont lock down the balcony door it doesnt turn on.
Sofa bed is very uncomfortable,felt every spring, other beds were fine.

Muster drill-Much better than any other cruise I have been on. Only 1/2 hour and your not standing outside in the sun with your life vest on!

Since everyone tastes are different I will not get specific. There is so much food and so may options that if you cant find anything to eat I would be shocked.
We had my time dining. Great service by Jon and Trisha. The optional resturants are marketed heavily. Mu son ate at Chops grille and stated the portions were large and steak was great with good service.

Its very hard to change your reservations for dinner, so make sure your entertainment schedule works with your dinner times. Plan on dinner takin 1.5 hours.
Ate at the Windjammer buffet for breakfast. On port days it was truly a mad house that I could not handle. So I went to the dining room for their quick buffet which was limited by not so chaotic. You may want to have other breakfast plans on those mornings. IT seems like the buffet resturant is the same size as other ships but is supposed to handle more people. Very crazy in there!
Being a nurse I was very happy to see them approach those who did not sanitize their hands prior to comming in. This was enforced throughout the ship and I loved it!
I also loved the fact they have a screen on every floor which tells you the menus at each resturant for the week and whats going on for entertainment. I looked ahead and could change my plans based on menus.
Central park has a complimentary resturant called Park cafe. i loved it. Make your own salad, fresh carved meats, all kinds of side salds such as cole slaw asian salads ect. Only problem was finding a place to sit.

Enertainment
Again, very hard to review since we all have different expectations. Family attended HAIRSPRAY and stated it was ok.
Come fly with me was acrobats, synchronized dancing but I could not follow the story line nor could others I was with. The circus solei type acrobats mid production was wonderful and mad it worth it.
Ice show was based on Hans Christian anderson stories and wasnt so great, not alot of acrobatics, small rink. Mid show an artist made a story using sand. It was the most amazing artistic thing I have ever seen and I was so glad I attended just to see that.
The headliner show was a very talented dancer and singer who was very funny. He sang songs that all of us know and love and let us sing along. Whether you like blues, rock, country or jazz he had something to enjoy!
There was a show held outside in the aqua theater that was high diving . Again, lots of synchronized swimming and only 1 big high dive, many smaller dives and tricks though.
Comedian was not extra R rated which was refreshing and was funny.
Karokee was often family which meant lots of kids singing.
Dance clubs didnt really start untill 11:30 or later which was often too late for me to attend.
Boleros is a bar you can salsa dance in and allows smoking.
The love and marriage game show was very entertaining especially due to the couples partcipating, get there early, it fills up quick!
In adult scavenger hunt they had us in groups and for example the first group to have a member with red underwearr gets a point ect. lots of fun.

Activities
My daughter ziplined after waiting in a long line but the rock climbing wall line was just to long.
Skating sessions were only 20 minutes if you wantged longer back to the line again.
Pools-Several pools not just 1 main pool. I did not like it. I enjoy sitting by a pool and watching ther band or the pool games on other cruises.
When they had the belly flop contest you had to leave your lawn chair go to the aqua theater, stand in line, get a seat in the hot sun and watch it.
There were other activities such as the sexiest man contest handled this way.
I would be out in the sun with all my stuff, then have to pick it all up, stand in line, sit in a seat, go back to the pool, find another chair ect.
Enough chairs by the pools unless you want to sit right next to it. The state you cant reserve chairs but I seen people do it.
The pool waiters are pushy. Sell, sell, sell drinks, it became annoying after awhile after you've said no 4 times. Lots of Rum drinks, but if you ask them to substitute another liquor such as vodka or tequila they will.
Ship-Very clean. Promenade reminded me of a mall. Not alot of variety in the shops. Pizza place, cupcake shop??? whats that about? Starbucks of course. Very crowded in the evenings. Shoulder to shoulder. When they had dance nights or parades the conjestion was ridiculous.
And again, very warm, even in the elevators. Be prepared to sweat in your suit and tie!
The Interent cafe always had line. Only 6 computers on floor 7 and one was down. There was another internet site on floor 9.
Bathrooms in public areas were not always in the places I would expect. After a show I would need to use the restroom and had to walk through the entire casino to get to one. Don't wait until the last minute, because there was usually a line after shows and dinner.

Shore excursions-Dune Falls in Jamica. Absolutley thrilling. Im not athletic but made it to the top, the falls are beautful with cool clean water but dont go if you dont want a work out! Theres no sitting around.
Swam with dolphons in cozumel and loved it. Touched them took a belly ride with them but you need to be able to swim and tread water some. The pictures they have for you to buy arent cheap.69.00 for 3 pictures.
labadee-Wish I would have gotten off the ship ealier. I love the ocean and really wanted to sit somewhere near it and have an umbrella for my mom. Bue we didnt get ther until about 10:30 and we wnded up sitting almost by the street staring at a building! The barbecue was really good!

Disembarkation-The most orderly I have ever witnessed. Perfect. Breezed right through.
Overall I am not a picky traveler, I feel lucky to have been on this wonderful vacation. Would I do it again? No. Just to many lines, to much waiting, to many people. 6200 to be exact. Afer day 2 I began tracking my wait times. From elevators, to activities to guest services. From day 3 to leaving I was at 13.75 hours. I guess my vacation time is so precious I cant see wasting that much. It is to be expected though when you choose the biggest ship with so many activities.
Also many of the activities I wanted to do stated so late in the evening like after 10:30 pm, I am an early riser so its hard for me to stay out so late without being overly tired the whole next day.
I must credit RCCL for being able to do what they do with that many people, feeding a city 3 times a day! Its amazing.
The best part of theis cruise was the staff-I have stayed in hotels all over the country, been on cruises ect and never had such wonderful customer service.
Everyone you pass by or ask something of or meet is smiling and pleasant, many remember your name which is amazing. They seem to work so hard also. You will truly be treated well.
Also, my family is prone to sea sickness and we never felt the ship moving ever!

Please email me if you have any specific questions. I will be happy to help. There were some things i wish I would have known before leaving also. Remember to make all your reservations before you go and bring that info with you!

(Right after I made my final payment inApril the prices were reduced almost by 50%) Had I know I would of waited until then to book) Less

Read more Oasis of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Oasis of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review: Oasis of the Seas Superior Oceanview Stateroom with Balcony Deck 6 6718

No plug in bathroom