Marina Cruise Review by evonlef: Crossing the Atlantic

Compare Prices on Marina Transatlantic Cruises

Crossing the Atlantic

Sail Date: February 2012
Destination: Transatlantic

We've traveled on Oceania before and are always pleased with the quality of fellow passengers. On any transatlantic, the average age is 75+. We were in a concierge veranda room, which gave us access to daily newspapers and last minute reservations at specialty restaurants. We received one evening each per our contract but could book any morning through the concierge. Our favority was Toscana, Red Ginger, Polo and Jacques in that order, but all the food was excellent. The room was large and it was great having access to a computer, although the shower was tiny. Europeans often prefer bathing and this ship was designed in Italy, but the passengers were overwhelmingly American.

We visited Key West before the trip, Bermuda, Madeira, Tangier, and landed in Barcelona. On Bermuda we purchased daily transportation passes near the terminal. The highlight was St. Georges, as it was too cold for snorkeling. On Madeira I booked excursions for 6-8 people (recruited people onboard) with More Happy Tours and on Tangier with Tifo. Both were much better and cheaper than cruise excursions. Trip ended in Barcelona, so there were many sea days.

The lecturers were horrendous and I gave up after the first day to play bridgeeven though this was my first time to ever play duplicate. The food was so good that I had to concentrate on not gaining weight and worked out in the futness room every sea day. The room for group exercises is so small that it reminded me of my shower. I didn't realize until halfway through the cruise that you can purchase fitness room tickets for all group exercises and get reservations before other PAX. The nightly shows were generally good expecially the song and dance events. The violin concerto was excellent except it coincided with happy hour and drinking passengers were loud with no interest in classical music.

Overall a very good cruise. Less

Read more Marina cruise reviews >>