Norwegian Star Cruise Review by gamblinggirl: Once is ENOUGH!

gamblinggirl
Member Since 2010

Compare Prices on Norwegian Star Bermuda Cruises

Once is ENOUGH!

Sail Date: July 2012
Destination: Bermuda
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)

Just returned from a very disappointing 7 night cruise to Bermuda on the Norwegian Star.

Embarkment was fine, we were on the boat by noon and decided to go to Versailles for lunch instead of the pool buffet. That was our first mistake. We sat there for at least 20 minutes before someone even acknowledged us. Finally someone came over and said he didn't even know who our waiter was but took our order anyway. Never asked if we wanted a drink. After waiting over an hour we received our lunch which was so-so.

Dining in the Versailles for dinner was a disaster. We went there our first night and again waited for someone to come over to take our order. The menu was extremely disappointing....bean burrito on the menu for dinner??? The choices just were not what I would expect on a cruise ship. I have cruised Celebrity, Princess, Holland & Royal and this ship is not in their league. We sat there for at least 30 minutes with empty water glasses when my niece finally More decided to get the water and fill our glasses, then our waiter finally came over a bit annoyed with my niece.

We decided to give Versailles another chance the following evening, but the service did not improve, if anything, it got worse. The staff is not friendly, never once introduced themselves to us, or asked us if we would like a cocktail from the bar or even soda.

We tried the Aqua dining room our 3rd night hoping it would be better than Versailles. Even though the atmosphere isn't that nice in Aqua, the service was 100 times better! Our waitress was attentive, she introduced herself, asked if we wanted a drink...we were shocked, was this the same boat? She brought our orders out quickly and with a smile. Unlike in the Versailles when the waiter dropped a dish on me and never acknowledged it.

The buffet was horrible, from breakfast - dinner. Nothing was fresh, the eggs used for the "fresh" omelets were from a carton! The scrambled eggs were wet and runny. The best item on the breakfast buffet was the french toast.
There were some items on the lunch menu that were just not edible, everything was cold and all the vegetables were frozen. I decided to try a burger at the grill...how could you go wrong with a burger? Well I did. It was cold and dried out.

The ship was very filthy, the toilets overflowed and water was all over the floor, I almost slipped several times, there were no paper towels, and the smell was enough to make you puke!

The pool deck was extremely crowded and you had to get up very early to get a chair, even though reserving of chairs is not allowed, people had towels on them that never showed up all day. The pool itself was very, very small. The floor by the pool was always wet and very slippery.

The entertainment was so-so, nothing great. The cruise director was annoying and always shouting but very hard to understand. The female photographer was obnoxious and annoying, hounding you to take a picture.

This was the worst cruise I have taken. I received a free cruise for next year on Norwegian that I will not be using. I would rather pay to go on any other ship, than the Star. Less

Read more Norwegian Star cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Star Review >>

Cabin review: Norwegian Star 8650

The room was very nice, larger than I expected. I had an oceanview room. The shower was one of the bigger ones I've seen on cruises before.