Celebrity Equinox Cruise Review by Summerpls: Cruising Fit for Royalty

Cruising Fit for Royalty

Sail Date: June 2012
Destination: Europe - Eastern Mediterranean
Embarkation: Other

It was exciting arriving at the Port even though I had no idea what to expect. It was all very organized and it only took us about 15 minutes to get on board. When we arrived at the pier the instructions were well given and everyone is given a SeaPass which identifies them and also if you have preregistered they have your credit card number which is on your SeaPass so you don't have to carry around your credit card. You can also buy drink packages as you're boarding. I would advise against this as they explain them all so quickly that you may not get what you thought you were getting. I think it would be better to have a chance to look them over and be able to ask questions once you are in your cabin. We bought two drink packages (one for David that included beer and water) and one for me that included wine. I thought I was buying a package that would allow me to have a glass of wine or water at my choosing. It ended up being a pass for 7 bottles of wine and you could not More order it by the glass or order water without being charged and also this package did not include all of their wines but only a certain list which were mostly American wines (which surprised me as here we are touring Greece, Italy and Turkey who have the best wines in the world!). Anyways be careful in how you buy you drink packages and they are worth it if you like to have a few drinks while you are holidaying. We also found out afterwards that you cannot take anything out of the mini bar in your cabin even if you have a drink package. They will not charge it to your drink package but to your credit card and there is no free water which surprised me. Even one bottle a day would have been nice for the high price you pay to be on these cruises.
When we entered our cabin I was quite impressed. Our Sky Suite was right at the back of the boat on the 11th deck and had a nice size balcony that fit a table and two loungers. Our room consisted of a double bed, lots of closet space and dressers, a couch with a coffee table, t.v., and the bathroom was great. It had a bathtub and a shower and the products they leave in the bathroom are great products and the housecoat is also very nice.
To our surprise we had a butler!! Yes I said a butler. His name was Caesar and he was extremely wonderful. Polite, expedius, personable and took his job seriously. He would come in every morning with our breakfast and set us up either on the balcony or inside at the coffee table and it all depended on where we wanted to eat. Every day he brought a fresh basket of fruit. He also made all of our reservations and tour plans and every afternoon at about 4:30 he would come by with snacks (sandwiches, cookies, squares, appetizers) and if we were still out touring he would leave some in our room for us.
Our housekeeper Anna Marie was also very meticulous and our room was always cleaned very well.
The first night we ate at Murano's, a French themed restaurant and not only was the food excellent but the service was exceptional. Through conversation they found out that we were celebrating our 8th anniversary and at the end of our meal brought out a small wonderful chocolate cake with a candle and a banner made of white chocolate with dark chocolate writing that said "Happy Anniversary". The Maitre D' named Pascal Pinault was very hospitable and made sure that we were happy with everything. This restaurant gave small portions but there are many courses and believe me at the end you have a hard time with the cheese plate they bring around!
We also ate a a restaurant named Blu on 3 occasions and had wonderful meals and service. I cannot remember the Maitre D's name but he was Checoslavkian and had a very good sense of humour. We enjoyed eating at Blu very much.
On another evening we ate at the Tuscan Grill. It too had delicious food and wonderful service. I had a dish there that I am going to have to find the recipe for and that I would highly recommend. It was rolled and stuffed eggplant in a delicious tomato sauce. It was so mouth watering good. A big appetizer that can easily be split with someone.
The Silhouette Dining Room is very large. This is where they have the "captain's" dinner for all the guests in two seatings (one at 6:45 and the other at 8:45). You also have to reserve a seating time before you board the ship so that they know what time you will come to dine if you choose to eat there. Our seating time was 8:45 and we found it much too late as by the time you got your food and were done it was 11 p.m. It was also a very crowded dining room and therefore noisy. They sit people with other people that don't know one another which is a good way of getting to know some of your fellow passengers but you must sit with them during the whole cruise if you choose to eat here (and like you've read there are many other places to eat). We only had two meals here and they were both great meals. We enjoyed the service and the very good humour of Octaviam Mecvin ... he was well experienced and certainly knew the menu and what to suggest for your meal.
The cafeteria which is called The Oceanview Cafe is opened 24 hours but don't let that fool you. For the main breakfast hours, lunch and dinner they have plenty to choose from. In the other times you are very limited to what you can get and it doesn't seem as fresh.
The pool areas (4 pools) were great. Lots of seating and nobody fighting for loungers ... lots of bars and snack bars around. Their towels are a good size and always clean and they have designated smoking areas for those that like to have a puff.
All in all it was a perfect holiday with lots to take in. We were more tired when we got home and it took us days to recuperate and feel ourselves again. I would highly recommend anyone thinking of going on a cruise to book on the Celebrity Equinox. Less

Read more Celebrity Equinox cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Celebrity Equinox Review >>

Cabin review: Celebrity Equinox Sky Suite Continental Deck (6) 1665

Our cabin on the 11th deck, right at the back of the boat was great. It was spacious, clean and the bathroom was really nice. It had lots of closet space and dressers, a t.v. a hook up to charge your ipad or whatever, the beds were comfortable. On our balcony we had two nice loungers and a table and we ate breakfast out there every single morning. I would rate the cabin a 5+ easily.

(5)
When we landed in Naples my first thought was "Oh my, what a dirty looking city"! It's not attractive in any way. We took a bus tour up to Sorrento which by the way was my very favourite place on our whole tour! Sorrento is so beautiful. It's cliffs, the water, the town, the people, the trees and shrubs and plants. I would go back to stay in Sorrento for a holiday. I think it's one of the most beautiful places that I have ever seen. The bus ride up and back (about an hour and a half each way) is well worth it.
Read 7 Reviews

Temple of Olympian Zeus

(5)
Our tour guide was wonderful and her English was spectacular! The history that she filled us in on as we toured was priceless. The Acropolis Site is a must to go and see and the Panathenaic Stadium was amazing! All made of marble. The tour around the city was also great as it was on a Sunday so the traffic was not too bad and our bus was able to stop at a couple of places to let us out to go and take pictures. Would highly recommend this tour.

Chania (Crete)(Souda), Greece is a very big port. It didn't matter to us that it was not an attractive port as we went into town on our own and had a small tour including lunch.

Ephesus

(5)
A must do. The ruins of a whole city is so unbelievable. So much of it still stands and it's all made of marble. It's a tour for those with lots of energy and without physical imparements as it's a long tour but well worth it. Bring your camera. It was so easy to imagine in my mind what it was like there thousands of years ago. When we got back from our cruise we stopped in the town which was by the Port to have lunch ... it was wonderful.
Read 84 Ephesus Reviews

House of the Virgin Mary

(5)
Beautiful drive getting there and it was packed! Lots of tourists there that day. It was very amazing to see buildings that have been there for thousands of years. You are not allowed to take pictures inside the House of the Virgin Mary but it does have a nice feeling to it.

Mykonos seriously has a nice Port. We took a bus into town and were so glad we did. It is typically what we here in Canada picture Greece looking like. The white washed houses with brightly blue coloured doors and windows and lots of flowers and greenery. We had lunch in a beautiful little restaurant that was in the square ... and what a beautiful square it is. You do have to be careful not to get lost though as it's like a maze. Lots of jewelry and art for sale.
Read 381 Mykonos Reviews

City Tour

(4)
We took a bus into Rhodes and walked the streets. We took in a couple of markets, looked in stores and had lunch in a beautiful park that had such beautiful greenery and flowers ... it was a popular place amongst the locals and we enjoyed it very much.

Oia Village

(5)
Such a beautiful city sitting on top of the mountain. The only way up and down is either in cable cars or up the steps and they do have donkeys if you want to rent one. It's well worth the trip up. The scenery from our boat as we were anchored off shore was so beautiful. The water so blue and flat ... so many other boats, yachts and beautiful sail boats.