“Family vacation to Progresso and Cozumel”
Cruise review of Carnival Elation

BootHeelCruiser Carnival Elation 5 Family vacation to Progresso and Cozumel
BootHeelCruiser
Member Since 2005
No Helpful Votes
Overall Member Rating
We chose this cruise because New Orleans is easy for us to reach from our home in Southeast Missouri. We stayed the night before at the Quality Inn and Suites in Gretna on the Westbank. They offered a cruise and park room. We were able to stay for the night and the had a shuttle that took us to the port the next morning. They also offered a shuttle to the ferry that took you from Algiers on the West bank to the River Walk area of the French Quarter. This was free for pedestrians. It was nice to get to enjoy that area without the worry of driving and parking. In New Orleans we explored the River Walk, and also found a carriage ride that took us through the French Quarter. The driver was very knowledgeable about the many different building and the history behind them. We even saw Brad and Angelina's house :) Embarkation was easy. We were on board around 12:15 and our room was ready at 12:30. We were on Deck 7 (Empress) room 23. It was a great standard room with a window. It was located close to elevators and the atrium. The food was very good all week. We had anytime dining, but ate close to the same time each day. We had the same waitress 4 out of 5 days. Natalia and her team were great. They took great care to know what my boys liked and worked very hard to make them happy. Camp Carnival was also a treat for my boys. One was in the 2-5 group and one was in the 6-9 group. They always had great things to tell us when we picked them up. I hope this way helpful to some of you.
Carnival Elation Cruises to the Western Caribbean
  • Shore Excursions
  • Value for Money

Cabin review: Ocean View

Dolphin Swim & Encounter
We went to Dolphinaris that we booked through Carnival. It was a great experience. They were very good with my boys and worked hard to make the morning enjoyable. We got to touch the dolphin many times, give it a hug, kiss and ride on its belly. Lunch was included and was very good. They even had chicken nuggets for kids who may not want fajitas or quesadillas. They also refunded my 5 year old's ticket price since 5 and under are free. The credit was on my sign and sail account before we left port.
Port
The cruise staff will tell you that Progreso is a spot to go to get to other places. That is true. It is definitely not as commercial as Cozumel, however, it is probably closer to what Mexico is really like. The people were very friendly and tried to sell you everything, but if you just say "no thank you" they will leaver you alone. We enjoyed walking around the open air market, and we rode the double decker bus. My boys enjoyed the bus!
Read 367 Progreso Reviews
Published 07/14/12
No Helpful Votes
Read Cruise Critic’s Carnival Elation Review
Carnival Elation Cruises to the Western Caribbean
Share feedback
Thank you!  Cruise Critic values your feedback.
How can we improve this page?