Sea Princess Cruise Review by LoLo 1: IKEA MEETS ELEPHANT BAR FOOD WITHOUT HALIBUT AND OR CRABLEG

LoLo 1

IKEA MEETS ELEPHANT BAR FOOD WITHOUT HALIBUT AND OR CRABLEG

Sail Date: July 2012
Destination: Alaska
Embarkation: San Francisco

Ship: The Sea Princess is a small outdated ship that is getting redesigned and updated this year 2012.

Passengers: Average age of the guests was about 75. Lots of walkers, wheelchairs, canes and oxygen tanks to maneuver around. Getting anywhere in a hurry is difficult. Elevators are painfully slow and almost always completely full. I climbed a LOT of stairs on this cruise.

Suggested activities: Scooters races on Promenade Deck.

Activities: Bring a book. On second thought bring 3. The activities schedule is extremely limited outdated and cheaply made. One activity per time period and many of them were not activities at all (piano melodies from 2-3, GBLT get together from 3-4, car enthusiasts meet 4-4:30, etc). For anyone looking for lots of fun things to do during the day, this cruise is not for you. And you will find no solace in your stateroom. The TV offered a total of 6 watchable channels, two of which were all news. All the other channels are Princess More advertising itself in various ways or the hand washing show about the proper way to wash your hands. There are no regular channels you would find on your tv at home on this ship.

Staterooms: Tiny, very crowded, 2 outlets, small closet and drawer space. It was adequate for just the 2 of us.

Staff: In many instances, untrained with poor English knowledge . This got very frustrating at times on this cruise. A simple question like "which floor do we get off the ship on?" would yield 3 or 4 different answers. However Our dining room waiter and Busser provided great service with good menu knowledge and satisfactory English.

Food: Princess caters to definitely older crowd so don't expect any level of gourmet cuisine. I heard more complaints about this from fellow passengers than any other thing. Everything was bland and unseasoned or soft (except the pancakes and waffles which were hard). The lunch buffet was a hodgepodge of ethnic (mostly Chinese) foods sort of thrown together in no pattern. Since I have no desire for fried fish balls and re fried beans for lunch, I ate OFF the ship as often as possible to avoid it. Quality control at the buffet was non-existent. There is a pizzeria on board that makes very good pizza (I know this because I ate it anytime we were stuck on board for lunch). Oh, and if you wanted some crab on your cruise to Alaska, Don't look for it here. I had to get it at the crab shack in Juneau. However my experience confirmed that the CULINARY CREATIVITY never ends we definitely discover that this new Culinary trend is IKEA meets ELEPHANT BAR.
I really feel bad for all the man hour that the kitchen crew invest in order to produce a substandard quality products.
But is understandable when you find canned ham as a cold cuts.

Overall, a non memorable experience. Less

Read more Sea Princess cruise reviews >>