Explorer of the Seas Cruise Review by cruise_guy2012: Mixed feelings

Mixed feelings

Sail Date: July 2012
Embarkation: Other

First off, Cape Liberty.
I only choose Cape Liberty because I live in NY, therefore I don't have to fly. However, on this day (July 5th) only 20% of Cape Liberty's bagging staff was there, causing a 2 hour delay in our departure from Bayonne. It was really no big deal, as we got to our first port of call on time (Bermuda), so clearly the baggage staff that was there worked really hard.

Cape Liberty Rating: 4/5

Staterooms:
I was in a Deluxe Balcony Stateroom on Deck 6 AFT, I found the staterooms to be larger than my cruises on the Celebrity Summit. However there was a lot of rust on the balcony, stains on the walls, carpets, sofa but for some reason it didn't bother me that much as the ship IS 12 years old and was not renovated once.

Staterooms Rating: 4/5

Food:
The food was for the most part, disgusting. The buffet was the WORST buffet I've ever been to, with the same stations of food repeating everywhere. There IS a sushi station, however, More it was only used for sushi ONCE during the 9 day trip. The Main Dining Room food is a little better than the food in the buffet, and I would DEFINITELY recommend having your meals at the Main Dining Room instead of the Buffet (Windjammer.) The WJ had disgusting eggs, long lines, not enough tables, hard pancakes, food with hair in it and terribly bitter coffee. The Main Dining Room also had EXTREMELY small portions. Compared to Celebrity, which I thought had AMAZING food, Royal Caribbean was mediocre. I did not use Portofinos, however I did use Johnny Rockets, and it was DEFINITELY worth the $4.95 for a decent meal. Also, on Celebrity they had a poolside grill and the buffet opened 24/7. Royal Caribbean did not have this. They had Cafe Promenade opened 24/7 and even the food/treats there weren't that great. Would definitely go with Celebrity if you want better food.

Food Rating: 2/5

Service:
I'm going to separate this into every area I've visited as it varied greatly.
Stateroom Attendent: VERY NICE, made towel animals every other day, some people on the cruise got none the entire trip. He made sure all our needs were taken care of.
Main Dining Room Asst. Waiter: She was such a sweetheart, she was funny, always made sure our cups had water in them, we had enough bread, and always making conversation, giving us tips and laughing.
Main Dining Room Waiter: Same as above, he was nice, funny and always made sure we were happy.
Room Service: Slow. That's all I can say.
Main Dining Room Bar Service: The guy was very nice, and even decorated our cups when we asked.
Windjammer: They do an okay job for the amount of people they're serving.
Johnny Rockets: Kind of slow, but I didn't care as it was a good meal for once.
Poolside: The bar service is terrible. They follow you around asking you to buy drinks, wake you up from a nap to see if you want a drink. They try to push the drinks way too hard.
Cruise/Activities Director: Leigh was amazing, funny and the best cruise director ever. Same with Frank The Tank.
Main Dining Room (Lunch): The server got mad when I asked for 2 desserts I wanted to try...
Guest Relations: No problems.

For the most part, the service was OK, I would also say celebrity was better, due to the fact they do not try to push their drinks as much.

Service Rating: 3/5

Entertainment:
One of the comedians made fun of a young kid... terrible.
Some dancers were off key.
The Quest Game Show was hilarious.
The Ice Skating Show was good as well.
The band by the pool (One Love) was good, however after having the same band every day it gets tiring.
The Entertainment for the most part was pretty good.

Entertainment: 3/5

Activities:
Every activity I took part in was fun.

Activities: 5/5

Shopping:
Was better on the Summit. Not much at all, prices aren't great.

Shopping: 2/5

Public Rooms:
Well cleaned for a 12 year ship. Many public rooms with activities going on all day.

Public Rooms: 5/5

Overall: The cruise was pretty good, however I would choose Celebrity over Royal Caribbean. But don't get me wrong, I would travel with RCI again in the future.

OVERALL RATING: 3/5 Less

Read more Explorer of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Explorer of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review: Explorer of the Seas Deluxe Oceanview Stateroom Deck 6

Not much to do in King's Wharf, however there is a trolley that takes you to the Ferry/Bus to go to beaches, Hamilton, St. George's, etc.

Royal Caribbean's Private island on Haiti. They do not give you a map, or tips on how to get around. Make sure you go to Columbus Cove as the rest is pretty crummy with rocky beaches.
Read 358 Labadee Reviews

We found a private tour here too, however, San Juan was VERY close to the town of Old San Juan, which was nice for shopping.
Read 1361 San Juan Reviews

Beautiful port with shops, things to eat, close to a beach, although it is pretty crummy, the town near by is great, we found a guy who took us on a private tour for $10/person to Waikiki Beach (Great!), Marigot and back to the town of Phillipsburg. He was right near the port so we didn't have to walk far.