Carnival Elation Cruise Review by ratycaty: The Carnival Elation a ship that needs repairs

ratycaty
Member Since 2012

Family & Children 1.0

Compare Prices on Carnival Elation Western Caribbean Cruises

The Carnival Elation a ship that needs repairs

Sail Date: July 2012
Embarkation: New Orleans

OK first let me explain this was the first cruise for me and the wife to take. So we really did not know what to expect.

What we did expect was it to be a fun ship cruise with lots of stuff to do on board. What we did get was 5 comedy shows, and some dance classes.

I will go with the good first.
(1) Cabin steward, dining workers, and the personal shopper Jade were all hard working.
(2) Camp carnival got the kid away so we could have fun, however we made this mistake of letting her sign herself out.
(3) The comedy shows were great

The mediocre
(1) the food, let me say this. The buffet's are great, dining at night in the dining room left a lot to be desired. How anybody gains weight on these ships is beyond me. I ate better food in the mass hall during basic training.

The bad
(1) The elevators I have to rank as the worst part of the ship. Over half the elevators were out of service. The ones that were working had problems, such as More getting stuck, and the doors not closing or opening.
(2) The pain job is horrible; on certain parts of the ship you can see where they painted over the railing time and again without removing previous layers of paint, this is shoddy work.
(3) Our cabin air, during the day it did not work, at night it froze us to death.
(4) Communications with the crew and the workers. I don't know how anything gets done that ship, with 30 different languages being spoke. I only found a handful of workers who actually spoke English to where I could get what I wanted.

The intolerable:
Sunday night last day before docking back at New Orleans, we had an incident. We were in the comedy club, the comedian was midway though his show. The entire ship lurched you could hear what sounded like metal on metal. Folks got knocked out of their seats, and even some of the bar runners got knocked over. The comedian stopped his show for a second as folks scrambled about, and then he made the comment "Hey I know its Armageddon but let me finish my show, im sure we got plenty of time to get on the life boats". Well we sat there not moving, and 30 minutes later our the captain of the ship got on the Horne and said "Due to a medical emergency we have entered the Mississippi river early and we will be docking with the Coast Guard to do a medical transfer. This finally calmed folks down. It would have been nice to have hear him say that before almost wrecking the ship, and scaring the devil out of folks.

Monday after we docked. The disembarkation by zone was handled so bad it was not funny. Folks would ride down the atrium elevators and break in line, and cause problems. It took 3.5 hours to disembark. We were sitting on the promenade deck waiting for our zone to be called. Well some idiot worker on the ship decided to test the lifeboat lowering mechanism on 2 of the lifeboats. The descended and one of them hit the window where we were sitting, this scared the devil out of us and my kid and several other folks.

Carnival claims it is a fun ship. Well I don't think so. The only things to do on board are to get drunk, act like a fool, and go to the casino. There sure are not enough activities to go too.

Carnival needs to put the Elation in dry dock and fix the electrical problems. Then the need to teach their chef's how to cook. They need to get more activities. Less

Read more Carnival Elation cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Elation Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Elation Oceanview Main r131

WE were on the Deck R, cabin R131 with an ocean view. The cabin was the size of a very small hotel room. The bathroom was very small, the closests were nice and had a lot of room. The hallway was filled with kids that were constanly running up and down at 2-3am. I had to call security and they did nothing. I would not recomend deck R it is the furthest away from all the good stuff.

Sightseeing

(3)
We went to Discover Mexico. It took one hour to do. It wasnot worth the 68 bucks I spent.