Sea Princess Cruise Review by frisbee dog fan: A wonderful 10 days

A wonderful 10 days

Sail Date: July 2012
Destination: Alaska
Embarkation: San Francisco

Overall, a wonderful cruise. Stateroom cleanliness and dining room service were excellent. Even better, the Horizon Court service was excellent. I've come to expect great dining room service from Princess. In the Horizon Court...not so much. But this cruise was the exception. The Horizon Court staff were right there to help, to take away dishes, to refill your drink, and always with a smile. Whatever vendor provides fruit for this ship is doing a great job. The pineapple was consistently excellent. Entertainment was good. I particularly liked one of the sea day activities of making paper airplanes. After we made them, we threw them through a hoop on the lower deck. Some of us threw our airplane many times. There's a couple of shows that were new to me. There's a real high energy show called British Invasion that was so much fun to watch. A comedian, Chipper Lowell was also insanely high energy, but funny, funny, funny. The only dark spot for entertainment was bingo. Yes, the cards More are expensive, but I still enjoy playing. I will never again play on the same night as the Captain's Circle cocktail party. The numbers were being called so fast, we couldn't keep up. I yelled, "slow down". So did my mother-in-law. It didn't make any difference. They couldn't get us out of the Vista Lounge until the games were finished, and they made sure the games were finished in plenty of time. It was frantic, and it was so NOT fun.
The weather was good (mostly overcast, a little bit of rain), the seas were calm. We saw many whales and porpoises. This is the first time I have ever had a balcony room. I've always been happy with interior rooms, but now that I've had a balcony, I suspect I can never go back. I could sit on my balcony and look for whales. The balcony gives more protection from the wind then you get on deck, so I could stay out longer. Then I could watch from my window. I saw the most sea life before we got to the Alaskan ports, while offshore of Washington and Canada. That was true on the return trip as well. I think I have learned one secret on this cruise. If you want to see wildlife, you should book a shore excursion for what you want to see. I went on a shore excursion that promised eagles. Boy, did I see eagles. My sister in law went on a whale watching excursion. She was thrilled by what she saw. Sometimes you get lucky and are able to see things from the ship, but booking an excursion makes it more likely that you'll see what you want. Less

Read more Sea Princess cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Sea Princess Review >>

Cabin review: Sea Princess Oceanview Double with Balcony Baja Deck B614

B614 Tiny, tiny, tiny. My mother in law used a walker, and each evening someone would have to lift the walker over the beds to place by the balcony as it wasn't possible to push it through the room.

We decided to take the shuttle to the Mendenhall Glacier. It was $8 per person each way. I asked a taxi driver later how much it would have cost to take a taxi. He said if you have 4 people in your party, it's cheaper to take the taxi, otherwise, the shuttle is less expensive. There is a great visitors' center, and lots of space to walk around. There were ice bergs and bergie bits floating in the water. Some of it had come to the shore and you could pick it up. There is a pretty impressive waterfall that you can walk to. The sign says a round trip walk is 45 minutes. Be advised that you have to be a really good walker to make it that fast. It took me a little over an hour. It was worth the walk.
Read 837 Juneau Reviews

Scenic Cruise

(5)
Took the totems, lighthouse, and eagles cruise. You see lots of eagles. Binoculars were provided on board and you really needed them. The captain pointed out the eagles' nests. You could really see them with the binoculars.

White Pass Scenic Railway

(4)
Beautiful views. Hard wooden benches. Bring a little travel pillow and save your back. When the train turns around, everybody switches places with the people on the opposite side so that everyone gets a good view. You can also stand outside the car.

Scenic Victoria City Tour

(3)
Typical double decker bus tour