Rhapsody of the Seas Cruise Review by Pink35

Member Name: Pink35
Cruise Date: June 2012
Embarkation: Seattle
Destination: Alaska
See More About: Rhapsody of the Seas Cruise Reviews | Alaska Cruise Reviews | Royal Caribbean Cruise Deals
Shore Excursions 5+
Value-for-Money 5+
Rates 5+

Rhapsody Post Re Fit to Alaska
Overall it was a great trip! Met some real nice people aboard and had incredible weather all week long!!!

Rhapsody of the Seas had just come out of re fit approximately 8 weeks prior to our cruise. You probably would not have guessed that it had just finished refurbishment. Most of the money from the re fit went into adding specialty restaurants, upgrading public restrooms, and adding some new furniture. Most of the money did not go into upgrading staterooms :( We did not have the much talked about iPad's in each room. They did however have giant looking iPad touch modules next to each elevator that allowed one to view the schedule or find certain locations on the ship (that was nice!)

Stateroom: Our Stateroom was 8050 which is a handicap accessible room--needed for my mom. The bathroom was large with a huge roll in shower. Bathrooms looked to have fresh new tile and counters. The size of the room was enormous since it was also considered a Jr Suite. Our balcony was double the size of a regular balcony. Nice use of balcony throughout trip with gorgeous views, especially at Sawyer's Glacier in Alaska. We had a sitting area with 1 sofa and 2 sofa arm chairs. My only real complaint of the room was the dust. There were dust balls on the bedding and on the laminate floor entrance. I requested my stateroom attendant to clean. He was very nice, but inexperienced and not very good at cleaning :( I ended up doing it myself.

Food: In my opinion... not good, except for Chops grill which was fabulous. I have had much better food on other cruise lines. Honestly in my opinion, if you want excellent food, then go with Celebrity... don't go with Rhapsody. Which is strange because RCL and Celebrity are related company's ?!?! The main dining room had 3 course meals only. Our server several times told us not to bother eating any sugar free or healthy dining menu items... he said they were no good... LOL Our server was very friendly. Our new found friend, Jim and Gayle, made our dining room experience better throughout the week. The Windjammer was mediocre and crowded. Celebrity definitely has much better buffets. The Park Cafe in the Solarium was FABULOUS! Great salads, sandwiches, and soup. Like I said earlier Chops Grill was fabulous and well worth the $30 cover fee per person... a must go! Izumi Sushi was awesome! Loved the Sushi videos on the tv's that showed the chef making the sushi items. There was only a $5.00 cover fee and then each item was individually priced.

Entertainment: The Entertainment Director Patrick and his Assistant James were hilarious. They made the cruise fun :) There was a wide range of activities... Bingo, 70's night disco party, Adult game night, various games, horse races, napkin folding, cake decorating with the ships Captain, dance classes, etc. They taped this video each day that ran continuously on channel 14, and it was hilarious. Strangely I found myself watching it over and over like I was being hypnotized... haha.

Pool: We actually got to use the pool area twice in Alaska. We had 2 days that were bright, sunny, and 76 degrees. We went swimming in the heated pool and hanged out in the 4 spas. There is also an indoor pool (The Solarium). The Pool bar was always open, even on bad weather days. They always had waiters available. Pool area only a short walk to the Park Cafe. You could eat an endless supply of ice cream cones (my favorite). There was a giant screen by the pool put in during the re fit. It was nice to watch music videos. At night they would have movies playing outside, however, it was freezing. I later found that it would be better to sit up in the lounge on the 11th deck to watch the movie--where it is warm. One of the movies they showed in the Broadway theatre--The Tower Heist (a movie with Ben Stiller).

Shore Excursions: I booked separately with Port Promotions. I went on a helicopter ride in Juneau, AK and landed on a glacier to go sledding with musher dogs. Totally awesome excursion. We had an unusual bright, sunny day. If you book through the cruise line it is $560.00 pp. Through Port Promotions the same excursion was $450.00 pp and I got a 15% discount off of that, because I had booked my cruise on Travelocity. In Skagway, AK we took the bus/city tour and then the White Pass Train ride from Frasier Canada back to Skagway. The scenery was breathtaking. Well worth the money. We had King Crab legs at a restaurant just south of the cruise ship in Skagway... think it was call The Fish Co. Best crab legs I have every had!!! In Victoria B.C. Canada we went to the Butchart Gardens and Empress Tea. The weather was not so great that day. I have gone to the gardens in the night and day. I personally prefer the day better. Empress tea was perfect in every way. The scones and tea were delicious. They even gave us tea bags to take home!

Service: Overall, service was good. There were a few service people who probably could have used a big hug. In particular, I love coffee and ice cream. I went a couple of times to the Ben and Jerry's and Starbucks Coffee (same area), and there were these two girls there that were the most unfriendly people. There was also a guy that worked there occasionally. I would wait for the guy to show up to go get my coffee. I guess I am just really used to my baristas from home who was always energetic and friendly.

We stayed over a couple of days in Seattle, after the cruise, at the Four Seasons (close to Pikes Market). That hotel was awesome! Loved the beds, loved the pool, loved the TV in bathroom mirror, and loved the location. It is pricey, but well worth the money if you can afford it.

Overall, a great trip. I prefer Celebrity (you probably already figured out). I heard that Celebrity is going to have the Solstice sailing in 2013 up to Alaska, which is one of their newer ships. I would highly recommend going on that ship over RCL Rhapsody of the Seas. Hope this review helps!

Publication Date: 07/13/12
Read the Alaska ports review by Pink35
More Rhapsody of the Seas Cruise Reviews

More Rhapsody of the Seas Reviews
Amazing Experience
Rhapsody
Rhapsody to Alaska 6/22/12 -...

More Alaska Cruise Reviews