Queen Mary 2 (QM2) Cruise Review by twinstars

Queen Mary 2 (QM2)
Queen Mary 2 (QM2)
Member Name: twinstars
Cruise Date: July 2012
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)
Destination: Canada & New England
Cabin Category: D4
See More About: Queen Mary 2 (QM2) Cruise Reviews | Canada & New England Cruise Reviews | Cunard Cruise Deals

LuxuryOnly.com

Enjoyable Cruise with Cunard
We had previously only cruised with Disney with our kids and for our anniversary cruise without kids, we thought we would try something other than Disney. This cruise came to my attention because it left from NY (driving distance from home) and was 5 nights (not too long, not too short), ports that we had never visited and I remember seeing QM2 being featured on Entertainment Tonight in 2004 when it first sailed.

Stateroom: We booked a D8 GTY and was upgraded to a D4. The cabin location was excellent, very quiet, close to Stairway B, one flight up was King's Court and open deck. The room was spacious enough for 2 people, really nice layout, lots of storage area, no complaints about the room. I was pleasantly surprised by the counter space in the washroom.

Food: I was a bit disappointed with the food. I had read before hand that food was very average, and it was just that, average. I find selection at the buffet to be very small, not a lot of seafood at the buffet. Maybe because it is a British cruise line, I find the selection of food very non typical North American. We had an enjoyable lunch at Golden Lion Pub, highly recommended. Breakfast in Brittania was also much better than the buffet, I wish we had time to do that more than once. Dinner in Brittania was just okay. Servers did not seem very knowledgeable about the food. Answers were always very vague. I did enjoy Afternoon Tea very much, I think that would be my highlight in terms of food on this cruise. It is a must do on this cruise. The scones were delicious, as were the pastries.

Activities: Most activities were pretty tame, darts, virtual golf, shuffle board,lectures, bridge lessons, knitting, you get the picture. Plus side is that the pools were never really busy. Being used to Disney ships, the pools were ALWAYS jammed packed. We saw 2 kids that owned the pool area by themselves at one point, that NEVER happened on Disney.

Shows: We really enjoyed the comedian, and the performance by the Julliard Music School students was also quite impressive. I did not enjoy the show by the Cunard Singer/Dancers. Movies were okay. Odd selection one night where they showed "Adventures of Tin Tin" (animated). Planetarium was cool. Live musics at pubs were really good.

Excursion: We did the Peggy's Cove excursion, that was great, we had really good weather, knowledgeable tour guide.

Would we cruise Cunard again? Probably, but not with kids and probably not any time soon. I think if you are adults and don't mind a quiet relaxing environment, and enjoy dressing up, then this cruise is good. If you want to party, then this is not the cruise for you. If you are big on food, then perhaps this cruise is not for you either, or maybe try one of the grille level rooms, food there is supposed to be better.

Publication Date: 07/12/12