Unbelievable Scenery: Volendam Cruise Review by Retired-Cruiser
Overall Member Rating
I appreciated the quick action to resolve the problem. HAL sent a bottle of wine to our cabin by way of apology. Later, we received a personal letter of apology and a credit for $150 which we could apply to our current bill.
Returned to our original cabin.
- described as obstructed view. Really, was no view, as there was a bulkhead right in front of the window. Not really much different than an inside cabin. Obstruction was described as the promenade walking More track around the deck.
- the heating/air conditioning control seemed to be for decoration only. We like to cool down the room for sleeping, but nothing happened
- no hot water for shower at breakfast and dinner time. Perhaps load was too great on the system
- food was exceptional. HAL has the best food of various lines we have travelled on
- service sometimes slow (8:00 p.m. seating-table of six). We were late for the 10:00 p.m. show
- more than once individuals were served the wrong selection, or did not receive a selection at all (breakfast)
- had requested soy milk. Always seemed a challenge to get it delivered promptly
- in spite of the above gripes, the serving staff were friendly and accommodating. For our last evening, we requested creme brule (requested the day before), which was not on the menu, and, voila, we had it.
- shows were entertaining, especially the pianist, and comedian/magician; "production" numbers on other nights were OK, but what can you expect on a small ship?
- Day spent cruising in Glacier Bay was exceptional. Not every ship/cruise line can get into Glacier Bay. Try to book a cruise that allows you this opportunity.
- Volendam, being a small ship, was easy to get around.
- We had great weather, but anyone travelling to Alaska should be prepared for rain and fog, and have warm clothing. Include gloves and a warm hat.
- don't expect a lot of time sunning on the deck. It's cold outside. Less
Cabin review: HH3384 Large Outside Stateroom (fully obstructed views)
Cabin was described as obscured view. The obstruction was said to be the walking track around the deck. The obstructions also included a bulkhead right in front of the window. Could not see the ocean without climbing up on the windowsill and craning your neck. Go for an inside cabin and save money.Read All Large Outside Stateroom (fully obstructed views) (HH) Reviews >>