Enchantment of the Seas Cruise Review by Kat_Cruiser

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Enchantment of the Seas Cruise Review by Kat_Cruiser
Enchantment of the Seas
Enchantment of the Seas
Member Name: Kat_Cruiser
Cruise Date: June 2012
Embarkation: Baltimore
Destination: Bermuda
Cabin Category: F
See More About: Enchantment of the Seas Cruise Reviews | Bermuda Cruise Reviews | Royal Caribbean Cruise Deals
Dining 5+
Public Rooms 5+

Bad Weather, Great Times
We went on this cruise with our adult son and daughter, and daughter's boyfriend.

We left from Baltimore because we live in Maryland and for us was the most convenient port. Boarding was actually very quick, less than 25 minutes. Our cabins weren't ready when we did board and our luggage wasn't there, but the cabin attendant said it was fine to leave our carry on bags in the room.

While we waited, the five of us went to the pool deck and had a couple of drinks while watching a Blue Angels airshow that just happened to be going on that weekend.

We had two days and nights of heavy seas, though thankfully, nobody in our party suffered from it.

The first day in Bermuda was semi-sunny and we got our own transportation passes into Hamilton to tootle around. The second day it rained. Not just a little rain, but a heavy, icy, downpour. Silly as we were, we caved into our daughter's wishes and went to Horseshoe Bay Beach. Miraculously when we arrived the rained stopped and the sun peaked out for about 45 min. and my daughter got to play in the water. But soon the clouds started rolling in and the downpour came even harder and colder the moment we got on the bus. We got lucky to get on board before the gangway had to be removed. Some people got stranded for a bit. According to the Weather Service, they had not expected the rain and high winds. Of course as we finally left, the sun came out again.

The trip to Boston was also a little rough because there was a storm nearby but not nearly as bad as the first couple of days. When we arrived, the day was very pleasant.

The next day was our trip to Newport, which is a lovely town. It was our own fault that we did not disembark and shop immediately because we had signed up for the Cliff Walk and Breakers tour.

The ship. Enchantment of the Seas is a bit on the smaller size, and anything that uses Baltimore harbor needs to be a bit small in order to clear the bridges. Everything was very clean, but it is showing its age in a few spots. Stains in some of the carpets and fixtures in the cabin bathrooms with rust spots on the edges. The public areas were nicely decorated and clean.

Cabins. My husband and I had a large Ocean View cabin. It wasn't as large as a hotel room by any means, but it was comfortable, clean, pleasantly decorated and had plenty of storage for our belongings. The bathrooms were tiny. I am pretty small but it could take some maneuvering. The three adult kids shared a large inside cabin around the corner from us and I heard no complaints about room from them.

Service. I won't go too much into this except to say that it was outstanding. Everywhere we went on the ship. Our dining rooms waiters were wonderful and entertaining, and and our cabin attendant extremely efficient.

Entertainment. This is probably where I'd say is the biggest downfall. It was at best, spotty. The first live show was mediocre, though the dancers and singers were outstanding, the show itself was just so-so. Two of the movies shown must have just come from made-for-TV films. As a matter of fact, one was shown on the television. Repeatedly. The comedy shows were pretty good. The goodbye show was actually better than the first, at least. They could do better at this.

Food. The food ranged from good to excellent. The Windjammer's buffet food was always fresh and had good choices of fruits and vegetables. We had most of our evening meals in the dining room and none of us had a less than very good meal.

All of the smaller shows and entertainers in the lounges and the Centrum that we saw were very, very good.

Activities. There was a huge number of them. Most of which my husband and I did not attend. That was primarily because we were on "vacation time" and didn't follow the schedule.

General. The lounges were pleasant places to just sit and relax. We really enjoyed quiet time at the Solarium. Ship's doctor. Yes, unfortunately we did have to see him because daughter wound up with an ear infection. I'm a nurse and very, very picky about these things. The staff medical station were very efficient and knowledgeable and I feel my daughter was treated properly. She was soon her old self.

Tipping. I am with many others on this. I wish they'd just roll those tips into the price of the cruise instead of tossing the envelopes in your room and bringing it up frequently in the newsletter and on TV.

All in all the cruise was really a great trip. My husband and I are talking about taking one this winter with just the two of us and RC is on our short list of options.

Publication Date: 07/12/12