Enchantment of the Seas Cruise Review by Kat_Cruiser: Bad Weather, Great Times

Bad Weather, Great Times

Sail Date: June 2012
Destination: Bermuda
Embarkation: Baltimore

We went on this cruise with our adult son and daughter, and daughter's boyfriend.

We left from Baltimore because we live in Maryland and for us was the most convenient port. Boarding was actually very quick, less than 25 minutes. Our cabins weren't ready when we did board and our luggage wasn't there, but the cabin attendant said it was fine to leave our carry on bags in the room.

While we waited, the five of us went to the pool deck and had a couple of drinks while watching a Blue Angels airshow that just happened to be going on that weekend.

We had two days and nights of heavy seas, though thankfully, nobody in our party suffered from it.

The first day in Bermuda was semi-sunny and we got our own transportation passes into Hamilton to tootle around. The second day it rained. Not just a little rain, but a heavy, icy, downpour. Silly as we were, we caved into our daughter's wishes and went to Horseshoe Bay Beach. Miraculously when we arrived the rained More stopped and the sun peaked out for about 45 min. and my daughter got to play in the water. But soon the clouds started rolling in and the downpour came even harder and colder the moment we got on the bus. We got lucky to get on board before the gangway had to be removed. Some people got stranded for a bit. According to the Weather Service, they had not expected the rain and high winds. Of course as we finally left, the sun came out again.

The trip to Boston was also a little rough because there was a storm nearby but not nearly as bad as the first couple of days. When we arrived, the day was very pleasant.

The next day was our trip to Newport, which is a lovely town. It was our own fault that we did not disembark and shop immediately because we had signed up for the Cliff Walk and Breakers tour.

The ship. Enchantment of the Seas is a bit on the smaller size, and anything that uses Baltimore harbor needs to be a bit small in order to clear the bridges. Everything was very clean, but it is showing its age in a few spots. Stains in some of the carpets and fixtures in the cabin bathrooms with rust spots on the edges. The public areas were nicely decorated and clean.

Cabins. My husband and I had a large Ocean View cabin. It wasn't as large as a hotel room by any means, but it was comfortable, clean, pleasantly decorated and had plenty of storage for our belongings. The bathrooms were tiny. I am pretty small but it could take some maneuvering. The three adult kids shared a large inside cabin around the corner from us and I heard no complaints about room from them.

Service. I won't go too much into this except to say that it was outstanding. Everywhere we went on the ship. Our dining rooms waiters were wonderful and entertaining, and and our cabin attendant extremely efficient.

Entertainment. This is probably where I'd say is the biggest downfall. It was at best, spotty. The first live show was mediocre, though the dancers and singers were outstanding, the show itself was just so-so. Two of the movies shown must have just come from made-for-TV films. As a matter of fact, one was shown on the television. Repeatedly. The comedy shows were pretty good. The goodbye show was actually better than the first, at least. They could do better at this.

Food. The food ranged from good to excellent. The Windjammer's buffet food was always fresh and had good choices of fruits and vegetables. We had most of our evening meals in the dining room and none of us had a less than very good meal.

All of the smaller shows and entertainers in the lounges and the Centrum that we saw were very, very good.

Activities. There was a huge number of them. Most of which my husband and I did not attend. That was primarily because we were on "vacation time" and didn't follow the schedule.

General. The lounges were pleasant places to just sit and relax. We really enjoyed quiet time at the Solarium. Ship's doctor. Yes, unfortunately we did have to see him because daughter wound up with an ear infection. I'm a nurse and very, very picky about these things. The staff medical station were very efficient and knowledgeable and I feel my daughter was treated properly. She was soon her old self.

Tipping. I am with many others on this. I wish they'd just roll those tips into the price of the cruise instead of tossing the envelopes in your room and bringing it up frequently in the newsletter and on TV.

All in all the cruise was really a great trip. My husband and I are talking about taking one this winter with just the two of us and RC is on our short list of options. Less

Read more Enchantment of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Enchantment of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review: Enchantment of the Seas Large Oceanview Stateroom Deck 2

Deck 3. Nice window, comfortable beds. Quiet location. Plenty of storage space. Tiny bathroom.

Freedom Trail Walking Tour

(5)
My husband and I have been to Boston before, and Boston is one of my favorite two cities, but never took the Freedom trail walk. The walk was informative and we did get to see quite a bit along the way. The only odd thing was the guides didn't seem to know that a stop along the way had been closed and moved about 6 weeks earlier. We did have enough time afterward to do a little exploring, shopping and grab a bit to eat.

the city, the entire Island were lovely. I'd have given it a higher rating but the weather was so bad that we couldn't get a really good feel for the entire place. But if you want beautiful and charming, Bermuda has it. Public transportation was very good, a bit confusing at first, but the bus drivers were very helpful.
Read 125 Hamilton Reviews

Breakers Mansion

(5)
We took the Cliff walk and Breakers combined tour. We saw the mansion after the walk. I'd been here before in the 80s when the tour was given by a person rather than a recording. It's still a nice tour, and a very interesting window on the lifestyles at that time period. My only regret is we did not disembark earlier because the schedule looked like we'd have some time to shop and look around in town after the tour and that was not the case.

Cliff Walk

(4)
While the cliff walk was very interesting, the day was extremely hot and for some reason the guides decided to extend the walk when I think most people would have been happy to just head on to the mansion to get out of the sun and heat. Unfortunately, the original group was split in two and we got a guide who must have been very new. She had to consult her notes frequently, didn't know the answer to a lot of questions and often repeated herself along the walk. Still she was pleasant as could be. and the walk was pretty.