Norwegian Jewel Cruise Review by supergrandmother: Freestyle is the Best!

supergrandmother
Member Since 2012

Compare Prices on Norwegian Jewel Alaska Cruises

Freestyle is the Best!

Sail Date: June 2012
Destination: Alaska
Embarkation: Seattle

My friend and I sailed on Norwegian Jewel in June. We cannot find anything negative to say about it. Beginning with our awesome cabin steward,Marlon,the staff was wonderful. From the "washy, washy" young lady in the Garden Cafe to the captain, they were friendly and helpful at all times.

We were in an inside cabin so I expected a closet size room. It was small but not oppressively so. We chose the inside cabin because it was cheaper and we did not expect to spend a lot of time there except for sleeping. We were correct. It was designed to make the most efficient use of the space so we did not feel claustrophobic. If I had a cabin with a balcony, I would still be wondering what was on the other side of the ship! We did not experience noise from the hall so we slept soundly. Our cabin steward, Marlon, was awesome!

The entertainment was very good, especially the Fire and Ice tribute to Michael Jackson. The food was always plentiful and delicious with enough More variety to satisfy anyone. We made a point of eating at least one unfamiliar item each day and learned that there are some foods that we never heard of before but we really like. Everything was clean and neat and well cared for. Our cabin steward learned our names the first day and always asked what we were doing each day and if we had fun. We especially like the freestyle cruising so we didn't have to worry about packing dressy clothes.

All of our shore excursions were just awesome. I especially enjoyed the Mendenhall Glacier excursion while my friend enjoyed the whale watching tours. The entire cruise was wonderful and we will do it again soon! Less

Read more Norwegian Jewel cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Jewel Review >>

Cabin review: Norwegian Jewel 9027

(4)
The rainforest was very interesting and provided many photo opportunities. I was impressed with the work done by the owner to keep everything in its natural state and yet provide such beauty. I enjoyed the tour but it is a one-time thing. I don't think I would go back. I wish I had done the Mount Roberts Tramway instead.
Read 101 Reviews

Mendenhall Glacier

(5)
There are no words to express the awesome beauty and magnitude of the Mendenhall Glacier. I came home with more pictures of this than anything else I saw. It was just spectacular. I recommend this for anyone visiting Alaska. I definitely would go back just to stand there and look at it.

Deer Mountain Tribal Hatchery & Eagle Center

(4)
The Hatchery was interesting but since it wasn't salmon season, there wasn't much to actually see. I would have like to see the salmon swimming up the ladders. The eagles and other wild birds were interesting. Educational but not exciting.

Potlatch Park

(5)
The bus driver was very knowledgeable about Potlatch Park. I was very impressed since he said he had only lived there a few years. I especially enjoyed the tour of the Park with the authentic-looking totem poles and houses and the history told by the guide. The visit with the carver was very educational. The tour was greatly enhanced by the information given by the tour guide/bus driver. I am always interested in the culture of a region and I was not disappointed.

White Pass Scenic Railway

(3)
I am a real railfan so taking this trip was a no-brainer for me. I was very disappointed. You could only see from one side of the train so the folks on the mountain side were bored half the trip. Going up the mountain, the guide gave us warning about when photo opportunities would appear but he did not do so on the way back so the folks who rode on the "good" side on the return trip missed most of the sights because they didn't know when they would appear. When we returned, I heard from the folks who took the bus trip that they stopped to see bears and were able to get out at the border and take photos. Next time, I will take the bus.

Butchart Gardens

(5)
The gardens were just beautiful. I liked that we were able to progress through the gardens at our own pace without a guide. I thought it was interesting that with all the plantings, I did not see anyone doing maintenance. Don't know when they do that but at least it did not detract from our enjoyment of the gardens. While I enjoyed the gardens, next time I would visit the Craigdarroch Castle or have High Tea at the Empress. I was sorry we were not there long enough to do more.