Carnival Legend Cruise Review by kyadto: Carnival Legend July 2012

Compare Prices on Carnival Legend Western Caribbean Cruises

Carnival Legend July 2012

Sail Date: June 2012
Embarkation: Tampa

Great Cruise. Started by flying into Tampa on Saturday and staying at Tahitian Inn on Saturday night. Great place to stay that has airport pickup as well as cruise terminal delivery the next day. Van pulls a trailer that can handle lots of luggage.

Arrived at cruise terminal around 11:30 and we were allowed on the boat at 12:30. However we made a big mistake and left our swim wear in the checked luggage that will arrive at cabin door much, much later (around 6:30). So if you plan on getting on the boat early, grabbing lunch, and then relaxing by the pool, make sure you carry with you the change of clothes.

Yes the boat is a little outlandish in the decor as others have mentioned. My 21 yr old said the entire ship reminded him of a casino. Not sure how to take that, but certainly understand the description. I didn't book to look at the decor, so no big deal to me.

Food was ok !! (we only made the sit down dinner in Truffles three times). Its almost like they try More a little to hard with being fancy with food. Just give me mashed sweet potatoes, don't put some crazy peach stuff in them as well. You know what I mean ? We did find they served the same meals at times in Truffles as well as at the buffet on the 9th level. I will say I did have a great burger at 12:30 a.m. that was very good. It is not 4 or 5 star dining, but a solid 3 to 3 1/2.
I took several underwater pictures that came out great. I purchased the Pansaonic TS4 before leaving home. A $299 purchase, but well worth it if you plan on taking underwater pictures. Takes great picture out of the water as well.

Chankanaab in Cozumel is a must. Spent the entire time there playing with dolphins, snorkeling or scuba diving. In Belize we picked up a flight out to Ambergris Caye for $75 a piece. A 15 minute flight that was amazing. Kids went tubing. Went to monkey farm and West Bay in Honduras. Go to Stingray city in the Cayman's. Your friends will think your nuts when you get back and they find you handled stingrays.
Overall a great trip and would go back on the same ship. Had the extended cabin, which was good. But looking back, probably not do it again since we didn't hang out on the balcony anyway. I could probably get away with a window or port hole. I do need to see where I am at, so personally I wouldn't like an inside cabin. Less

Read more Carnival Legend cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Legend Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Legend Balcony Verandah 7300

Extended cabin on back of ship. Cabin 7300, king size bed. Had a couch and small table. Makeup/desk area in front of couch with a stool and mirrors. Very comfortable for two. Loved the pilows so much I was tempted to take one. LOL Children has 7302, which had 3 beds. Not sure about comfort, but I didn't hear any complaining. We were on Verandah (7th level) and you could feel some vibration during the night at the higher ship speeds. Other nights you didn't feel a thing. Never had the smell that some said you would from the ship smoke stacks curling back down. You feel a little more sway back and forth, but not enough to warrant not staying in these rooms.

Not for the faint of heart. A poor country with lots of people selling products. I found it fun though, and for the most part they all would quit asking when you would politely but firmly say, " no thank you ". We bought several items in the market place from them. The kids headed off with ship excursion (ages 21, 19, & 17) to go cave tubing. We found a tourist guide and we told her we wanted to go out to one of the islands. She hooked us up with a cab driver named Sonny. A very large tall/pleasant man who drove a beat up Continental that was his dream car. He drove fast to the airport to catch the next flight out. We missed it, but he spoke with Tropic Air people who arranged us on the next flight out 30 minutes later. Sonny arranged to meet us when we got back to take a tour of the city. We headed out to Ambergris Caye on Tropic Air. A 15 minute flight with spectacular views. Drove around the Island on a golf cart. Visited Victoria House. A really fun time for me. The biggest problem and confusing item was the time . The local time is 2 hours behind ship time. So when you are discussing flight times, cab times, etc etc . make sure you are the one doing the math. Several times , i would be told "oh you will be back in time", I had to remind them last tender was at 2 (there time) not 4 there time. It was 4:oo pm ship time. So just make sure everyone is on the same page. I had absolutely no worries of not being back on time, once we all were talking the same times.

Nice clean port area. We jumped into a cab and was onto our destination pretty quickly. About a $15 cab ride to Chankanaab. I'd probably do the same thing over again. The beginners scuba was absolutely wonderful. Gilmer led us into a cave, down to the ocean floor, etc, etc. The Royal dolphin swim was second to none.
Read 3105 Cozumel Reviews

We grabbed a cab to the Cayman Island Yacht Club where we met up with Gordy and his boat, Aquasition. Gordy took us out to Stingray City and corralled the rays for us to holds and swim with. We then went to two additional snorkel stops. Gordy is an accomplished diver, thus knew the neat places to visit. He found us a Moray eel, which was pretty cool. We headed over to the 7 mile beach for lunch and a few drinks before heading back to cruise terminal. Some great photos and memories. Expensive place to eat however.

Why oh why is this the shortest stay? Absolutely beautiful island and wonderful people. I was told the distance to the next port (Cayman's) was the reason Roatan was cut short. We once again we asked a tour guide to take us to West Bay for snorkeling. We had the cab for the day ($100) and a tour guide who was tipped at the end of the day. We quickly became best friends. The explained there cultural, planned our itinerary to the monkey farm and then unto snorkeling. Negotiating the rates for the snorkel, etc. We went to the Mayan Princess ($10 per person for beach access) Great place to stroll the beach, snorkel, swim, boat, dive, para-sail. etc etc ) We grabbed lunch at the Mayan and then headed back to the cruise port to shop. Mahogany Bay at the cruise terminal looked amazing as well, but we never made it down there.
Read 1645 Roatan Reviews