Westerdam Cruise Review by Cheryl I

Cruise Date: June 2012
Embarkation: Seattle
Destination: Alaska
Cabin Category: VC
See More About: Westerdam Cruise Reviews | Alaska Cruise Reviews | Holland America Cruise Deals
Member Rating   5+ out of 5+
Dining 5+
Public Rooms 5+
Value-for-Money 5+

Ship Facts: Westerdam Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Westerdam Deck Plans
Wonderful Cruise
Just returned from a 7 day cruise to Alaska. This was our second Alaskan Cruise aboard a Holland America Ship. I was happy with our cruise experience in every area. The service was beyond 5 stars. I love the wood decks and wood chairs on Holland America, old time elegance. There are wool blankets to use on the decks and in Glacier Bay we were served hot split pea soup. The Pinnacle Grill was worth the money for the food and service. My only complaint would be the wait for open seating the first night and if I had it to do over, I would book alternative dining the first night.

Our cabin was very roomy and we actually had more storage then we needed. The Verandahs were roomy and we used it often. Nice closet size with fold down shelves. Plenty of storage and under the bed storage for 4 pieces of large luggage. Plenty of room for 2 people. The verandah outside our room had nice seating, they were private and roomy. Soft robes were provided and there was a lot of storage in the bathroom. The bathroom had a bathtub/shower. The location of our cabin was perfect. Never waited for an elevator. Loved being close to the Crow's Nest, one of our favorite places to read and relax.

Loved the food in the Lido as well as the main dining room. In the entire 7 days, we never passed a crew member that did not smile and greet us. The ship works hard a cleanliness. Out of 26 ships going into Alaska this year, the Westerdam was one of 3 that did not have the ship virus that so many had.

There was a mix of ages on board, more young couples then we saw on our last Holland America Cruise, that was nice. We invited friends to cruise with us and this was their first cruise. They were very pleased and they are sold on Holland America. I can't believe that there are complaints on this ship. I have sailed other cruise lines and I could list a lot of complaints! Entirely happy!

Publication Date: 07/10/12