Liberty of the Seas Cruise Review by Kaasie: I would do it again in a heart beat

Kaasie
Member Since 2012

Compare Prices on Liberty of the Seas Europe - Western Mediterranean Cruises

I would do it again in a heart beat

Sail Date: June 2012
Destination: Europe - Western Mediterranean
Embarkation: Barcelona

Our first time cruise had been researched three months prior to our departure and I felt that a first time cruise perspective may be more interesting rather than the repeat cruiser who have expectations that make me wonder if they serve the kind of menu at home, that they expect when when cruising.

Firstly, come prepared to shell out for drinks even if you are careful. The interactive TV is a must if you want to keep tabs on your expenses.Keep an eye on it, I was therefore prepared for the 1300 USD for the two of us for the 7 night cruise (55 minute SPA treatment for two included).Our room was on level six,balcony, star board middle)_I arranged all of our off shore tours and if you have a sense of direction, can read a map and can see the value in train travel and hop on hop off buses...go for it..it's worth the effort.

The staff went out of there way to greet and assist..it encouraged me to greet them before they had a chance. Take into account that the ship goes More around and around with a fresh batch of 3500 passengers each with high expectations. You will not be disappointed even if you consider how hard they work. I took a trip with gratuity included and this saved me about two hundred bucks...at the end I decided to put extra for everyone and this cost me only 60 dollars extra...yes it's worth it.
The food (considering they cook in excess of 25000 meals per week)was good and the variety was exceptional. Room service never failed us if you fill the door card correctly. Entertainment is a must as it's world class, book as many as you can manage. We took the 9H30 dinner sitting as standard and it was a good decision.
We did the Windjammer three times, took in some pizza, did the Johnny rockets butone can only eat so much(careful for Johnny's, there are service and tip charges that cost me more than the entire burger meal at home...same for the SPA visit...119 dollars ended up 169 dollars) Generally tips are 15% and I just signed without extra at the various bars.

We mixed relax time with excursions...so we did monte carlo,Florence and Capri...all excellent choices.The train from Florence back to the ship...watch out...our return train was cancelled due to a station fire up the track...keep the ship's phone number if you are stuck...they will make a plan. We didn't and hired a taxi for 150 Euros, luckily shared with another cruise couple.

Do the Capri trip...take a little boat (booking essential) and do the Island trip...swim in the caves...it was the high light of the trip.
All in all, we have watched the slide show with a thousand photos 4 times in five days....do it, you will not regret it. Less

Read more Liberty of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Liberty of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review: Liberty of the Seas Deluxe Oceanview Stateroom Deck 6

For those who seek to get away from the noise and listen to the sea rustle in the back ground through the open balcony door...get the an E2 deluxe with sea facing balcony.We were on deck six forward of the bulge and found it close to the lift and one floor from the promanade. The bed was big enough for four and very very comfortable. Fridge is okay but not cool enough, packing space was more than enough with extra space under the bed for suitcases. Bathroom was small but okay..maybe I'll take a bath with the next cruise..the wife would enjoy that. TV was very handy for checking the expenses, power points were enough...remember there's one in the bathroom as well. Room was well serviced to the point where we tipped him 40 dollars over the expected rate..well worth an up front 20 to ensure attention at all times, not that it was really necessary.

We took the train to Florence but be careful, the cab we took cost us a cool 24 Euros to get to the train station. The return train to Florence costs about 32 Euros for two, not a new train but air conditioned. This was welcomed as the weather was clear and 30 odd degrees.Florence train station was very busy but with in five minutes walk of the stop 1 hop on hop off bus, 30 Euros for two and worth it if you want to get to see this beautiful city in a jiffy.You can climb off anywhere and see the various sights.Queues at the various popular places was up to 50 metres long and we skipped it for lunch at the many to choose restaurants.Do the town, bridge and all..it's beautiful and the locals are very helpful and friendly despite the thousands of visitors. The train back was cancelled and we had to take a bus with other stranded visitors from the port and cost us 45 Euros each.

(5.5)
On doing the research, we took the hydrofoil to Capri. No regrets here...this was the high light of the trip....It did take us half an hour to get a boat to take us around the Island...it's best to try and book through a local excursion Company if you can. In any case Rebecca, an American Italian has just such a Company and soon hooked us up with Vito. Not cheap at 140 Euros but well worth the individual attention, on board wine (red or white).Watch out for the cave boat tour. The locals are rude and hustle you like cattle for 12.50 Euros each for a five minute ride through the low tunnel into the cavern. We took the 15H00 hydrofoil back to Naples having skipped the mountain tour.
Read 643 Naples Reviews

Slick in disembarking and return. Villefranche is one of our favourite stops, great for lunch, street music and great family area at the beach for swimming before rejoining the cruise.It's a short walk to the train station where we took the train to Monti Carlo.In between the port and train station they were however collecting the sewerage with the tanker and it took a strong stomach to run the gauntlet. Monti Carlo was sexy, lots of yachts and Ferrari's...this is clearly how the other half lives.Hop on hop off bus was too small and very crowded, we spent the day walking to see the sights.