Carnival Magic Cruise Review by texlex: Carnival Magic June 17-24, 2012

Compare Prices on Carnival Magic Western Caribbean Cruises

Carnival Magic June 17-24, 2012

Sail Date: June 2012
Embarkation: Galveston

My husband and I thoroughly enjoyed our cruise on the Carnival Magic to Jamaica, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel. We have cruised on Carnival, Norwegian, Royal Caribbean, and Celebrity. We are a family of eight (ages 7-76), and we drove down from the Dallas area and stayed at Candlewood Suites in League City on Saturday night before driving on to Galveston on Sunday morning.

We parked our three vehicles at EZ Cruise Parking ($50 ea.)and would highly recommend them. We had made reservations on their website prior to our cruise. After dropping off all of our luggage, the guys proceeded to park and rode the EZ shuttle back. Luggage is dropped off at one end of the terminal and the entrance is at the far end which is quite a walk. The embarkation process was the fastest and easiest we've ever experienced. Great job Carnival! We were all eating lunch on the Lido Deck by 11:40. The muster drill is INDOORS, and you don't take your life jackets...a BIG improvement.

We had three More balcony cabins mid-ship starboard side. Our balcony partitions were opened to give us one large balcony. The cabins were very spacious, clean, and had everything you could possibly need including a safe and refrigerator. One handy feature is that you can review the menus for the week, review your ship account, and available excursions on your cabin's flat-screen TV. Our cabin steward, Sudana, was fantastic. He always called each of us by name and fulfilled all of our requests.

We had late seating for dinner in the Southern Lights dining room. We did not like our table location and asked Elvis, the Maitre D', to change us. The following night, we had the perfect table location #622! Our head waiter, Rolando, and his assistant, Constantin, were excellent. We had to waddle from the table each evening because we were so full. The food was very good at all of the eating places on board. I treated my husband to steak in the Prime Steakhouse for his birthday on Friday night...DELICIOUS!

The water park, pools, and sports deck were great for families and kids. The different Carnival camps are well-organized and supervised. There is so much to do on the ship that nobody should ever get bored. Don't miss the show "Destination". It is excellent for cruise ship entertainment. The casino is large, but the payouts are next to none...worst casino of any cruise for us.

The ports of Jamaica, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel are lots of fun. We have been to all three of them several times, but we just do something different each time. See reviews of ports below: Less

Read more Carnival Magic cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Magic Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Magic Balcony Verandah 8347

#8347 mid-ship great location to everything (we always take a fan to kill the noise) very spacious, plenty of closets, good balcony great bathroom configuration

Cozumel was our port for SHOPPING! It rained all day, but that didn't stop us. We took a taxi van ($16 for eight people) to Pancho's Backyard at the far end of the waterfront shops. We had a wonderful lunch there in the covered patio area. It was my husband's birthday, and we had a great time! I bought him a Titanium Diver's Watch for a great price at Touch of Gold. If I buy jewelry in Cozumel, I always buy it at Touch of Gold. They have a 30-day return policy and they stand behind it because I've sent something back before. Another place where I always shop is the Mayan Fiesta Rum Cake Co. Their rum cakes are THE BEST! They also have several tasty hot sauces. I usually buy my souvenirs there.
Read 3121 Cozumel Reviews

We booked a private tour prior to our cruise with Moby Dick Tours. We would HIGHLY recommend them. Mark and his crew are fantastic! They met our group at the tender drop off point, and we boarded the old blue school bus to go to the Moby Dick boat. We snorkeled and swam with the stingrays for over an hour. I do not swim, but the water only comes up to your waist while on the sandbar with the stingrays. It is an extraordinary experience! They will drop you off at Seven Mile Beach on the way back to town if you desire. You WON'T be disappointed with Moby Dick Tours!

We hired a local, private driver through a friend prior to our cruise. He drove us anywhere that we wanted to go for the day. We started out at Richmond Hill where you can see the ship in the bay with beautiful scenery. Rose Hall is a must-stop if you've never toured the mansion. We also visited a primary school...my daughter and I are in education. That was a treat for us! On previous visits to Jamaica, we've gone on the river rafting on bamboo rafts...FUN! Jamaica is one of my favorite ports, but you have to get away from downtown. It has some beautiful beaches and waterfalls.