Celebrity Century Cruise Review by laidbacktraveler

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Celebrity Century Cruise Review by laidbacktraveler
Celebrity Century
Celebrity Century
Member Name: laidbacktraveler
Cruise Date: July 2012
Embarkation: Vancouver
Destination: Alaska
Cabin Category: C2
See More About: Celebrity Century Cruise Reviews | Alaska Cruise Reviews | Celebrity Cruise Deals

Wow, Celebrity DOES Have a Bottom End
I've taken Celebrity before (newer ships) and have enjoyed them. This was different. I'm surprised Celebrity would allow its name to be associated with this ship and cruise.

Sure I'm upset at how small and old the ship is. I was also taken aback by how unfriendly the staff were (with exception of dining staff which were good).

Did we see the Glaciers as advertised? No. Did we get enough time in some ports? Arriving at 3 p.m. doesn't give a lot of time to see a port.

The ship looks old. The lighting dim. Watch out anyone with SAD disorder.

They appear to me to be catering to seniors as the average was very high.

There are few eating tables but to make it worse there were so many chairs missing! During eating hours it's like playing musical chairs as everyone steals a chair from other tables as they only have one or none only to have them stollen back. Same happens on the back deck. Do they not replace broken chairs? Very sad.

Needs a lot of paint and rust repair. They were painting while we were on board.

Very stingy on food. They serve you and aren't generous at all with portions.

I finally had to vent my disappointment with the entire ship by summarizing it in a story below:

I can hear the Celebrity Management sitting around their boardroom table speaking to the fate of the Celebrity Century:

Sir, the Celebrity is all set to sail for another Alaskan Cruise.

Didn't we send it to the boneyard last year, Bob? Surely we weren't able to sell tickets for that old hole in the water.

Sure did Sir. Just layered on a few more coats of paint, scraped off some of the rust and dropped the ticket price a buck or two. We'll make up the difference on the booze. As soon as they board we'll pummel them senseless with our specialty drink pushing waiters. They won't have a chance.

We've even loaded it up with our newest trainees, Sir.

Have they learned to smile at guests?

Not yet Sir. It takes many years of "conditioning" for labour that cheap to learn to paste smiles on their faces.

Good work Bob but what about the food?

No worries Sir. We'll ration portions and have set up dining so only we serve. They'll have to ask quite a few times if they want a full plate from that boat! It's not much of a problem anyway as the average guest age is over 90!

Sounds too good to be true Bob. Good work. Better alert the on ship morgue. With all those old fogies onboard I have the feeling they'll be busy! Just make sure we milk every last dollar out of the Century, Bob. Then we'll scuttle her on the reefs of Icy Straight.

Aye, aye Captain! LOL all around the boardroom table.

Publication Date: 07/09/12