Radiance of the Seas Cruise Review by azpokey: South Bound Alaska cruise on Radiance of the Seas June 29

azpokey
Member Since 2001

Compare Prices on Radiance of the Seas Alaska Cruises

South Bound Alaska cruise on Radiance of the Seas June 29

Sail Date: June 2012
Destination: Alaska
Embarkation: Seward

We just returned form a 7-day cruise from Seward to Vancouver. We started a week before and stayed a in Anchorage visiting family. Anchorage was a nice city but this almost 24 hr day light is for the birds. I can only imagine darkness in the winter. But over all saw everything Anchorage had to offer.

We drove down to Seward the day of the cruise it's a 3-hour drive from Anchorage plus the scenery was awesome. We arrived in Seward around noon and had lunch at a local restaurant that served good fish and chips, the food was ok but the service was horrible the waitresses where fighting where to put customers because they all wanted tips. I solved they problem and let a very little tip I hate doing this but I had to go get my own refill of diet coke.

Embarkation was so easy you go to a building away from the ship and give your luggage to a local porter, she was so sweet and very efficient. She represented RCCL well. Then we where dropped off at the cruise terminal, again More easy process and within 10 minutes we had cruise cards in hands and headed to our rooms. We had a beautiful Superior balcony deck 9 front of ship right by the elevator cabin 9534. It met all our needs, our cabin Stewart was A++. The other person we traveled with had a outside cabin deck 4 mid-ship she was a single traveler. The cabin was great and met all her needs.

We had been on radiance in 2004 and with the 20 million improvements it was even better. The ship had flat screens TVs (the TV entertainment was terrible but people say you don't cruise to watch TV) But I traveled with a person that had mobility issues so it meant something to us) The ship also offered stem to stern wifi, the Internet packages where pricey but as Diamond members we got 30 minutes free and 20% off any package.

The food I am sorry to say was not the best breakfast was the best, lunch the usual buffet selections. Dinner was not the best in the dining room, on lobster night they even gave our table away to another couple. They stayed and we got a terrible table as you enter the Savoy dining room. They should have told the other couple to leave but did not. We ate in the dining room 1 other time the rest was in the buffet. It was just OK good choc chip cookies. We never ate at any of the pay restaurants, we did have lunch at park central in the solarium (indoor pool) it was delicious. The hot dog house was nothing special.

Andrew in the Diamond club lounge was A+++++++. The ship was very clean and fun to be on.
The ports of call where good this was our 4th Alaska cruise so going to Icy Straight Point I thought would be fun it was honestly a waste of a port. Plus you have to tender. There are about 8 store in one big barn and a few places to eat. The only good thing for me was a great place to take pictures of the ship. The other ports where very nice. In Ketchikan it was the 4th of July so there was a local parade so much pride going on, plus RCCL had a float in the parade.

The Entertainment was the typical RCCL stuff but the cruise director was horrible I guess they had a problem with the Cruise Director the week before and had to leave they replace him with a no talent CD. He was no place to be found. The gift shops where good and the casino was very slow the whole cruise.

Over all it was a great cruise 4-1/2 stars out of 5. The new and improved Radiance was beautiful from the new movie screen by the pool, to the new pay eating places to the new flat screen TVs in the rooms.
Well worth the flight to Anchorage. Less

Read more Radiance of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Radiance of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review: Radiance of the Seas Superior Oceanview Stateroom Deck 9 9534

Cabin 9534 deck 9. Close to front elevator. Awesome room Stewart Paul A+. We had a small problem with A/C but they fixed it quickly. Cabin 9534 is a great cabin.

Boring.

Mendenhall Glacier

(5)
Best tour we have ever taken.

Beautiful port of call.

If you do not take the train there's not much to do.
Read 645 Skagway Reviews