Carnival Spirit Cruise Review by debk68: You must experience Alaska

You must experience Alaska

Sail Date: June 2012
Destination: Alaska
Embarkation: Seattle

We took a taxi from the sea-tac to the ship, there were 4 of us, it was $46.00. Much cheaper than the shuttle at $27 per person.

We arrived at the dock around 11:00 and were on the ship by 11:30. If you can carry your luggage I recommend you do so. We did not receive our luggage until 4:00.
1st day was at sea, we did the noveau steakhouse, which I highly recommend. The only complaint I had is you could hear the entertainment from the bar on the 2nd floor, it sounded like bad Karaoke. Reserve a table along the windows and you won't have that problem.

2nd Tracy Arm Fjord Amazing!! Michelle the naturalist on board is very informative.

3nd day Skagway, we were here from 7 am to 8 pm. Way too long for a small port. My motherinlaw and I did the bus/train/liarsville tour. It was fun but expensive. My husband and son did the kayaking, they had a good time, but it was kayaking in a lake, no glaciers or wildlife.

3rd day Juneau, we got off the More boat and purchased a ticket from the vendors for a bus/city tour of Juneau and Mendenhall. It was $30.00, which is $15 less than the ship excursion that was similar. It was a good tour and got us back to the ship on time. Mendenhall glacier is not to be missed.

4th day Ketchikan we got off the ship and walked around. I regret not having enough time to go to the Totem city. Ate lunch at a restaurant in the mall, had an excellent grilled halibut sandwich.

5th day Victoria, beautiful city but why do they stop at night?

I think that the ports of call on this cruise have been set up incorrectly! Skagway can easily be seen in 4 hours, Juneau should have been the longest day. Ketchikan could have used 2 more hours. And Victoria, should be seen during the day.

The entertainment on this cruise was lacking. We walked out of the juggler/comedian show. 3 out of 4 of the comics in the Punchliner were great.
My son saw the Mardi Gras show, said it was good.

Food was your average Carnival fare. Not impressive, but by no means bad. The seafood dishes, tended to be the best on the Lido.
The mexican buffet and Chocolate buffet were only set up in 1 station, so the lines were horrible.

I would recommend a balcony room for this cruise, there is so much to see especially during Tracy Arm. Our room was clean and spacious we had an obstructed view on deck 5. We were overlooking a lifeboat, which only obstructed the view looking down.

The serenity deck is awesome!! Even if it is cold, they have blankets and look out over the back of the boat.

My son, was 18, I would not recommend this cruise for someone who is 18-20. There is nothing for them to do. Except the casino and hanging out with the parents :).

We found that there is never anyone walking around outside on deck 3. It doesn't go all the way around, but is a nice break from people :)

We carried on our luggage and were off the ship by 7:30.

Overall it was a great cruise with spectacular views and experiences. When I cruise again I will probably try other cruise lines, this is my second cruise with Carnival this year, and the menus are exactly the same. Less

Read more Carnival Spirit cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Spirit Review >>

Mendenhall Glacier

(5)
got off the ship and bought a ticket for $30 for the glacier tour. Our guide was from Juneau and gave us a city tour as well. Fascinating landlocked city, and the glacier is not to be missed

City Tour

(3)
We boarded a motor coach on the pier. Our driver Jess was the best part of this trip. He is very knowledgeable about the area. Then we boarded the train and headed down the mountain. Very steep and informative tour. Then we headed to Liarsville, it is a hoaky show with an overcooked salmon bake and gold-panning. We stayed here too long. Then went to the Red Onion brothel, interesting. Overall too expensive, would not do this again.