Marco Polo Cruise Review by Christine Edwards

Cruise Date: July 2012
Embarkation: other
Destination: Cruise to Nowhere
Cabin Category: DS
See More About: Marco Polo Cruise Reviews | Cruise to Nowhere Cruise Reviews | Cruise & Maritime Voyages Cruise Deals
Cabins Not Rated

Ship Facts: Marco Polo Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Marco Polo Deck Plans
Ship Taster
My partner and I booked for a taster of the 'cruise' ship Marco Polo. The ship never left Tilbury but we got to experience for 1 night (thank god only 1 night)the ship and its hospitality.

Firstly embarkation was no different to queuing at Gatwick or Stansted for a flight... we were shown to our cabin which was supposed to be a guaranteed double bed suite. Upon entering it was twin beds and when I pointed out the problem the staff person threw his hands up in the air like I was being a nuisance and told me to get out of the way and proceeded to push the two beds together !!!!! Not a good start.

The ship is certainly old with uneven floors in just about all areas. We had a look at the show cabins and these also had uneven floors, so a feeling of sea sickness without moving anywhere!!!!!!! The dining room has too many tables in and it is a c onstant 'excuse me' of people trying to get into their seats. Don't sit at the side tables unless you don't mind having your elbow on the window sill. Miles too cramped for a dining experience. We found the staff too abrupt. The waiter in the entertainment area was quite insistant that 'we pay cash yeh' !!!!! Maybe a few lessons in customer service may be required.

The entertainment itself was diabolical ... have seen better in holiday camps. Wouldn't be impressed if that was all that was on offer on a weeks cruise !!! No escaping either as the singers after their show then go and croon away in the bars. Lots of noise in the corridors during the night (between 12 and 1am in the morning) as people made their way back to their cabins. Breakfast was a farce. I've eaten better in a 3 star hotel. Massive queue for food. Was told on entering the dining room that we could sit anywhere but was then told most pointedly by a staff member 'you sit there'!!!!!

All in all I would still like to have a cruise, b ut most definately not on this boat. P&O Cross Channel ferry comes to mind. I wouldn't like to travel up the Thames on this vessel let along across the Channel or North Sea !!!!!

Publication Date: 07/10/12