Viking Schumann Cruise Review by Jane Horton: Relaxing and Interesting

Relaxing and Interesting

Sail Date: March 2012
Destination: Europe - River Cruise
Embarkation: Other

Many, many years ago I went a cruise on the original old Arcadia with P&O when I was 20 years of age, since then I nor my husband, have been wanted to take a cruise on a large ship, where we be many days at sea. We have travelled the world extensively and often independently so on reading about Viking thought that could possibly be for us.

Our cruise on the Elbe with a couple of nights in Berlin and finishing with a night in Prague was everything we thought it should be. Fantastic food, good beverage station and yummy muffins in the afternoon too. We also loved the fact that we could sit where and with whom we liked and that wine and soft drinks were complimentary with our lunch and dinner. The tours and the wonderful places we visited and the organisation of it all was excellent. Being able to have free time and often to just walk off the boat was a real plus for us too. Guides were informed and spoke good English and the staff on the Schumann were so friendly and More welcoming all of the time. Our Programme Director Radim was an absolutely amazing guy, so knowledgeable and such a genuine man in his attitude to us all. Even the crew sailors were cheerful and helpful.

We met some very interesting people and are still in touch with two couples. The evening classical music performances were most professional and talented Vladamir on his piano/organ was a great personality, and we enjoyed the couple of evenings when later played some upbeat numbers and quite a lot of us were able to boogie!

We have recommended Viking River Cruises to a number of friends and at some stage in the future I am sure we will return to do some more exploring with Viking. Less

Read more Viking Schumann cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Viking Schumann Review >>

Cabin review: Viking Schumann

No real problems, but as there was not a separate sitting area on the Schumann when a talk was being given in the main lounge, and the weather wasn't too good and couldn't go up on deck, it would have been nice to have had room for one chair in the cabin, rather than for me to have to lie on the bed. Hence the two 4s on my rating for public rooms and cabin. However this comment wouldn't apply if the weather had been sunny and warm. Having said that the Schumann was a very personal and friendly ship.