Azamara Journey Cruise Review by iceclutz

Cruise Date: June 2012
Embarkation: Stockholm
Destination: Baltic & Northern Europe
Cabin Category: 1A
See More About: Azamara Journey Cruise Reviews | Baltic & Northern Europe Cruise Reviews | Azamara Cruise Deals
Dining 5+
Entertainment 5+

LuxuryOnly.com

Baltic Cruise on Azamara Journey
My husband and I recently returned from the 6/27 Baltic cruise on the Azamara Journey. Overall, I enjoyed the cruise very much. Now I will tell you what I liked and didn't like.

My biggest complaint was the guest relations desk. At any time, there was only one attendant serving a line of guests. But the bigger problem was that I received incorrect information each and every time I asked a question. Other guests told us they had the same problem and then we overheard still other guests complaining that guest relations was either always wrong or simply did not know. The worst of this occurred when I tried to book transportation from our debarkation point in Copenhagen to the airport. Note that I called Azamara several times before the trip to try to get this information, but was told that guest relations would be glad to arrange it. I needed to leave the ship at 5:00AM. Guest Relations told me that cabs should be waiting at the pier and that it would be no problem. (By the way, when we finally did leave the ship, there wasn't a cab in sight). I wasn't really comfortable with that because I had no way of knowing whether that was really going to be the case based on previous misinformation. I asked if they could arrange a taxi in advance so that I could be sure. They said they could and the price they quoted me was "between $70 and $80", she was not sure, but it would be more expensive than if I simply went out and grabbed a taxi on my own, which would cost between $70 and $80. (Wait, does that sound correct? One would be more expensive, yet the prices quoted were the same??). So I said that yes, I would like them to arrange a taxi and gave her my room information. She said that she would bill it directly to the room. Fine. The next day, I was chatting with another couple, who had received different information. Both annoyed, we went together to Guest Relations and spoke with the 'manager', who informed us that the information that we both received was incorrect. She confirmed that yes, an independent taxi would be between $70-$80, but that they could not call one for us in advance. They COULD, however, arrange for a private car to pick us up and that COULD be billed to our room and would be exactly $137. Also, it would be big enough for the 4 of us so that was perfect. Yea! I received a confirmation letter in my room (the other couple did not), informing us that our car had been arranged and to please meet him at Guest Relations at 4:45 so that he could personally escort us out. We were not even surprised when he never showed up. At 5:00 we simply walked off the ship, very annoyed with the whole customer service process.

Towards the end of the cruise, my husband contracted the norovirus, despite all of our attempts to sanitize and not touch handrails, doorknobs, etc. He became violently ill, too sick to even go down to the medical office, so he self-quarantined for the day. I stayed out of the room for the entire day. That evening, I asked the stateroom attendant if he would kindly open the sleeper sofa so that we were not sleeping right next to each other. He told me that it was not a sleeper sofa and that it could not be opened. Wrong. We opened it ourselves, only to find a soiled sheet (looked like someone urinated on it). Rather disgusting.

Finally, booking a cabin on the 8th floor directly beneath the pool area is a mistake. At about 5:00 AM every morning, they would start dragging the deck chairs around, I guess to clean. It sounded like a freight train was going through our cabin every morning. In the evening it is often rearranged into a cocktail table setting, so around 10:00 PM you are again subjected to what sounds like lead weights being dragged and dropped above your head. Don't count on going to bed early or sleeping late. In addition, if you do sleep late the housekeeping crew starts banging the doors next door and making a lot of noise to wake you up. Early one morning, the crew was actually WELDING something across the hall and sparks flew out and hit me as I walked by!

Aside from the above, I actually really did enjoy the ship and the cruise. I liked the size, the decor, the friendliness of the staff, and the food was excellent, equivalent to the specialty restuarants on Celebrity. I really enjoyed the poolside buffets since the weather was so nice and the food was good. I never waited for a drink and I was helped with mostly anything I needed. I liked that there are tablecloths on the tables at the dinner buffet and that waiters will carry your food to your table for you. I love the plaid, wool blankets on the outdoor chairs, nice touch. I liked that the wine, soda, water, etc. was included, as well as the shuttle service into port and the gratuities. I hate being 'nickel and dimed' so this was a refreshing change. Our room was pretty and clean, the fresh fruit, which they replenish each day is a nice touch. That said, some of the public areas (11th deck and pool) seemed a little 'tired' but I was told that the ship is scheduled for an overhaul in January. If you are planning on using the complimentary laundry facilities, good luck! It's like war in there! People guarding the machines etc.

I do enjoy the midsize ship. It was so easy to meet and chat with other people and we really had a nice time.

We also seemed to be following the Celebrity Eclipse around the Baltic. I was surprised that they were docked so much closer to the cities than we were in many cases. I was told that one of the advantages of the Azamara smaller ships is that you can usually dock right in town. This was not the case.

I would consider travelling on Azamara again. We have taken 2 previous Celebrity cruises and 2 RC and we really liked this cruise the best.

Publication Date: 07/07/12