Norwegian Dawn Cruise Review by capitalmom

Destination: Bermuda
Cabin Category: OA
        10-12 2.0

Could be better
We spent 7nights on the Dawn with 2 adults, 1 child. The week was relaxing, Bermuda is beautiful and everyone had a nice week. But it was not as good as it could be.

First, my nearly 13 year old wanted to be in the teen program. We asked both the cruise line and the travel agent before we left and we were reassured there was no problem. But there was. She was not allowed to join the program and had to stay in the 10-12 age group and she was not so pleased. The restrictions on the children in that program were extensive and often just plain silly. One young staff member embarrassed her greatly in front of the teens and she was mortified. He is young and didn't know about how sensitive 12 year olds can be but he should do better.

The room had a nice ocean view but it was SO loud. We could easily hear folks in the hall and in both adjoining rooms speaking in normal voices. In other words, zero privacy. We could also hear the sounds from the theatre during rehearsals and performances so clearly I knew exactly what lyrics they were singing. When I complained at the front desk, she told me ear plugs are sold on board. Many things on board are expensive -- $11 for a pilates class, $12 for yoga, $119 to just sit in the spa area and enjoy the indoor pool and deck chairs, many expensive restaurants.

When the main dining room is full, if you don't want to wait they suggest for $25 per person, you can upgrade to another, nearly empty, restaurant. The main dining rooms are attractive and we enjoyed the meals. But they are crowded and busy. The wait staff was clearly working really hard and had no time to be friendly or gracious. Many of the wait staff speak less than fluent English and had a lot of trouble understanding us. We paid a low price for the cruise but in fact many things are not included and are, in my view, over priced.

The ship is attractive but there are not a lot of things to do. The pool is tiny. Really more of a wading pool than a proper pool. I never swam because it was too small to swim in and there were always dozens of young people sitting around with beers with their feet in the shallow water. The piped in music also annoyed me. I love music but shrieking loud pop is not my thing and anywhere near the pool is too loud to even speak. The atrium also had loud annoying 70s and 80s pop playing often during the day. It was hard to find a peaceful place to sit and read as all the chairs in the deck's quiet area filled early. There is almost no shade anywhere and the few shady spots fill quickly. On a previous cruise on Royal Caribbean we had none of these issues and there were a lot more activities and a real pool. I would not recommend this cruise ship and I think for the same price you can do a lot better.

Publication Date: 07/09/12