Star Princess Cruise Review by tbathurst1220

Embarkation: Seattle
Destination: Alaska
Cabin Category: AD
Cabin Number: e727
See More About: Star Princess Cruise Reviews | Alaska Cruise Reviews | Princess Cruise Deals
Dining 5+
        3-6 4.0
        7-9 4.0
        16+ 5.0

Ship Facts: Star Princess Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Star Princess Deck Plans
A family trip rt from seattle
I learned of this Internet special 3 weeks before the cruise and just couldn't pass up asking all of our family to join us. A miracle as all were able to get time off work and school was just out in Oregon, so i decided to give bonnie at cruise one one more try as i've used cruisecon in may on a great 14 day cruise and realized what others told us was true abt cruisecon.

We left Salem, or jun 23 and met up with 3 more family at pdx airport. then on to Kent, WA. for a stay in days inn on meeker st..lovely place for the price. next day we all drove to the pier and 4 people drove our cars to inexpensive parking 20 min away in seatac city.($5.00/day)

ship embarkation was fantastic and quick. very well organized and we were on board abt 12:10 pm..Then we showed our 19 yr old granddaughter around the ship and showed off our minisuite, then to watch for everyone else to board.

Of course, everyone wanted to bunk differently than i had arranged, but had dinner all together with reservations at 7pm. excellent food and entertainment, then swimming abt 10:30pm..I hit the casino, found my favorite machine and left a winner( unlike the 4 Orientals who were watching me lost $500). then stopped at the pursers desk to make sure all my onboard credits came thru for me to pass on to grandkids.. Travel agent promised $100 and assured my my stockholder discount was applied...not. So as grandpa had already spent $11,000 on this trip, they only got to spend $50 each. So far this has not been rectified by our travel agent..in fact after confrontation she told me to find another agent as she prefers to deal with luxury passengers.

Day 1 at sea. i'm already worn out from up until 2am and breakfast in room at 9am. Swimming, reading and playing with family most of the day. Dinner and entertainment even better than most princess cruises. Went to a special party for past cruisers in the skywalkers lounge and they allowed my whole family to attend, as some had never cruised before. Age range of our group 4-64. Wife and i in bed just after midnite, understand some were up until 2 am

Day 2 first port Ketikan, ak raining a little all day, but by far the best shopping port. great little town, people all real friendly and had a great time. No tours on this cruise as i just didn't have time to put that together.

Day 3 cruising up tracy arm starting at 5:30 am.. all 15 of us were on our balcony for 3 hours watching the sights, then i think we all took a nap as we got into juneau at 2pm. In juneau i rented two taxi vans and we went to the mendenhall glacier..drivers gave us non stop commentary, pointed out hundreds of bald eagles, deer, 4 bear and more. Many of us then went to the red dog saloon where i had been to 3 times before..good food and entertainment. Some went to a brewery and understand it was great also. Shopped all the way back to ship and watched us leave along with family on our protected balcony at 10pm. we were still able to do formal dinner as many boarded ship at last possible minute. Then surprise, my wife offered a sleepover with our 3 youngest granddaughters...so the adults all disco'd late and i got to sleep in the hideabed in our cabin.

day 4. A day in skagway. we all went separate ways and have a lovely sunny day in this beautiful little city.Lunch at the green onion, definitely an adult establishment, but great food and service. lots of shopping and history to be seen here. done the tours before, so just walked the city and around boothill. Dinner all 15 of us together again.

Day 5. day at sea. Almost all of us spent the day swimming..wife and i had lunch with the captain and did formal nite as a group..many of the family went to dinner in only dress slacks, shirt and tie as did many others..no problem.

Lynn did another sleepover with3 youngest and i got the hideabed again.

Day 6. relax, pack, swim, read enrichment lecture on how to use my ipad better then Victoria BC. Beautiful city, great weather..did hop on bus and back to ship at 11:15.. all of us again watched us leave.

day 7...extremely well organized. when called we were off ship and thru customs in 15 min. Great overall trip. exceeded my expectations.. grandkids were loving the attention of everyone from the first moment. we plan to do this trip again next year

Publication Date: 07/09/12