Independence of the Seas Cruise Review by 2nd time cruisers: Awesome

2nd time cruisers
Member Since 2009

Compare Prices on Independence of the Seas Europe - Western Mediterranean Cruises

Awesome

Sail Date: June 2012
Destination: Europe - Western Mediterranean
Embarkation: Other

My partner and I have just returned from a two week cruise on the Independence of the Seas round the Western Mediterranean. This was our second cruise with RC, last year we did a 7 day cruise on the Adventure of the Seas a slightly smaller ship, but both ships are fantastic. From embarking to disembarking we were couldn't have been looked any better nothing is too much trouble for any member of staff. We embarked at around 12.30 and only had a bit of a queue this was because I was in a wheelchair. Once on board we had a coffee and had a look around, our cases were delivered to our cabin quiet quickly.
ENTERTAINMENT: take no notice of the person who said it was like Butlins, ( I doubt they'd ever been to Butlins) yes there are plenty of quizzes an fun games, but I'd like to know what other he would do 4000 passengers especially on the "sea days". There are lots of people who like to keep their brains active when away from home and it's all good clean fun. I do agree about the sun More lounges they do get filled up quickly especially the padded ones. There are enough things going on for everybody young and old. For children and teenagers there is no way on this earth that these members of the family can be bored there's the flow rider surf simulator, rock climbing wall, amusements, pools tables, mini golf, sports court an many more. The Royal Promenade comes alive a few of the nights with spectacular parades. The ships entertainments manager Joff Eaton was a real star his sense of humour is second to none he's soooooo witty, funny and very very friendly.
DINING: there are so many different places to eat with the Windjammer cafè being the most popular it's open from breakfast till late, but be warned it does get busy at times, but the quantity and quality of food that they provide is beautiful I'm a very fussy eater, but managed to find something to satisfy my taste buds on the few occasions we ate in there. We always chose to dine at 6pm in one of the huge dining rooms, we were in Macbeth on a table of 8, but only 6 of us turned up, but we had a laugh every night and chatted about our day adventures etc.
PORTS OF CALL: with regards to the trips I firmly believe you do your homework prior to sailing and read the information sheets put in your cabin on a daily basis an the one that has ALL the trips on is in your cabin on day one. . .
I have to use crutches or at times my wheelchair and found most of the people very obliging, what did make me and plenty of others cross is the way that a lot of people used the lift for one floor esp the youngsters!! One couple I spoke to walked up and down several flights of stairs to the dining room etc as and when and they counted the steps 156 steps in all. Less

Read more Independence of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Independence of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review: Independence of the Seas Deluxe Oceanview Stateroom Deck 6 7334

ROOMS: they do what they say on the packet so to speak, call me spoilt, but we always have a outside stateroom as it has a balcony due to my other half liking to sit out and read. He's also an early riser so he tends to sit on the balcony and watch the ship dock as the various places. The bathroom was big enough, the wardrobe was also big enough if fitted all mine ooops all our clothes in, plenty of draws, bed big enough an curtains kept the light out so one could get some sleep. Door opened wide enough to get my wheelchair in once it was folded up.

Palma De Mallorca is another beautiful place I've been several times you can even shop at C&A's and again it has a beautiful cathedral and a lovely harbour. We did the tour on foot it was easy to find the places you wanted to see.
Read 101 Reviews

Montjuic/Olympic Stadium

Barcelona: well I've been about five times and still find the city exuberating, lively and utterly stunning, the best way to see the city is by open top bus you can get on and off as and when, but do not miss the Gaudi cathedral

Cannes & Monte Carlo: unfortunately I was ill the day we docked so we missed this trip a word of warning it's a tender that takes you to the harbour. Our American friends went on a trip booked on ship way too much walking they were shattered, but 100% glad they made the effort. They said both places we amazing and not a trip to be missed even if the Casino was closed due to a strike.
Read 178 Cannes Reviews

St. Michael's Cave

(5)
Gibraltar a beautiful place, steeped in history, but let me warn you about the Barbary apes, as cute as they look they are notorious for pinching anything that moves especially food, drinks, handbags and cameras. We witnessed an ape pinch a slush puppy drink from the hands of a small girl she was left with just the straw whilst the ape proceeded to enjoy the slush puppy. It's also a lovely place to shop with a Marks & Spencer's,BHS and many more British shops.

Lisbon another beautiful city and again we chose to do the open top buses to get around it was cheap an easy hop on and off as and when.
Read 281 Lisbon Reviews

(3)
Vigo a pretty little place kind of spoilt by a monstrosity of a shopping centre as soon as you get off the ship, It's worth going up into the quaint little streets, but be warned to see the town you have to climb a steep hill whichever way you head into the centre, I needed my wheelchair and my partner was shattered after pushing me up the hill.
Read 205 Vigo Reviews