Brilliance of the Seas Cruise Review by Henk

Cruise Date: June 2012
Embarkation: Amsterdam
Destination: Baltic & Northern Europe
Cabin Category: JS
See More About: Brilliance of the Seas Cruise Reviews | Baltic & Northern Europe Cruise Reviews | Royal Caribbean Cruise Deals

Ship Facts: Brilliance of the Seas Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Brilliance of the Seas Deck Plans
Fair but not great
Returned today from a 13 day cruise with the Brilliance of the seas from Royal Caribbean.

I will give you a review of the experience with the ship and his staff and not of the cruise itself.

Check-in in Amsterdam took about an hour, standing in line as on all the airports so not a quick check-inn but not too long either.

We booked a junior suite wich was a nice size, all a bit worn but still nice enough for us.

At the check-iin they promised that our luggage would be in the stateroom by four o'clock but at five thirty still no luggage. Cabin stewart suggested I should look at deck 2 (where they were handling the confisquated liquer). I felt like an idiot doing so but I did. Nothing there off course and I started looking myself through the aisles and our luggage was just somewhere in a pile of other bags.I brought them to our stateroom myself. Not a great start you might say but in the meantime we had no electricity and that took untill after dinner. Pretty old ship with some problems.

Dining room always crowded, lots of noise. We had my time dining wich worked ok, always managed to have a nice window seat or so.

Breakfast and lunch always crowded as well and always at tables for 8/10 people,

Not enough staff, they were always running but they were very friendly and helpfull (90% of them).

Food is a bit standard, reasonable food but nothing special and usual a bit overcooked/dry.

Specialty restaurants not better, a lot of fuzz but nothing special, sorry to say. NOt worth the extra money.

We bough a 7 bottle wine package wich was around $ 215,00, a little high for the goldpackage but ok.

On day 4 or 5 we were having a drink at the bar when they told us that our boardcard was not valid anymore. I went to customer-relations were they told me that I had given a message that I wanted to pay my check cash at the last day (wich I did) and therefor the maximum I was allowed to spend was $ 500,00. I told them that I gave my credit card info allready 4 times to guarantee my payments but that I simply wanted to pay cash at the end because I stiil had enough dollars left from a trip to the usa 2 years ago at a better rate then right now. This was very difficult for them to understand and finally I said I would not spend another dollar on the ship unless they would take care of it in a correct way. That did it and I was "allowed" to use my boardcard again and thank you god, I could spend more money.

Another drink at the bar at 9: 30 in the evening, I asked for some peanuts with our $ 10 dollar caocktails, answer was: We do not serve peanuts after 9: 00 hours. I could not believe my ears., I was allowed to spend $ 10,00 for a cocktail but could not get a peanut ?

I had the impression that they really want to squeeze all the money out of us wich they could and at the same time save what they could save on the other side. Not a great experience.

Day 12 toilet could not flush , problem took 2/3 hours before that was sold (they like to tell you "someone is coming to your stateroom to solve the problem" and then noone comes off course.

Afterwards I found out that there was way more staterooms with the problen at the same time, they allready knew when I called but did not say anything. Bad behaviour I would say.

All in all:

Older worn ship with problems.

Restaurants not really great, ok but but no more then that.

Bars and shows, actually nice. Beers were around $ 5,50/$ 6,50, wine $ 8,00/$ 10,00 by the glass, everyday a pretty good "cocktail of the day" for $ 6,75. Whiskey $ 6,75.

Our waiters Nicoletta and Ajandro were excellent but had to serve to much tables between the two of them!

Our cabin-stewart Thomas Excellent !

We had cabin 1544 on the 10th floor, beware, you might get noise from the swimmingpool and buffetrestaurant above you (no problem for us with a norwaycruise) but I heard them cleaning up after the midnight party !

Staff: For the most part helpfull and friendly.

RCC Organisation and customer service: not so good

Ship: so so ! I guess they fix all problems when they appear but maintenance is not there favourite word.

Publication Date: 07/07/12
More Brilliance of the Seas Cruise Reviews

Read the previous Brilliance of the Seas review Read the next Brilliance of the Seas review

More Royal Caribbean Reviews