Serenade of the Seas Cruise Review by glpondo: Cruise of a Lifetime!

glpondo
Member Since 2012

Family & Children 1.0

Compare Prices on Serenade of the Seas Europe - Western Mediterranean Cruises

Cruise of a Lifetime!

Sail Date: June 2012
Destination: Europe - Western Mediterranean
Embarkation: Barcelona

I enjoyed Splendour of the Seas very much. This ship is a perfect size where you get to know the staff and fellow passengers over the 12 days you are on the ship. Last year we sailed on Allure and it was an entirely different type of cruise. Allure is a fascinating ship that you never want to leave. However, it is the ship that captivates you more than anything else. On Splendour, you get involved and meet the people and staff through the excursions, the activities and your eating experiences. There were approximately 2,000 cruisers on board and, of that amount, less than 100 children. My daughter, who is 16, was a bit disappointed with the activities - it was obvious from the activities, the ship accommodated the older crowd. The food was ok, the entertainment was ok (not like Allure were you are blown away with the entertainment!) However, I felt that the staff was excellent. They work very hard every day to make it the best experience - from the activities staff to the More cabin staff to the food staff!

I had done a great deal of research for the ports of call and was glad I did. I booked everything on line. I enjoyed every port and didn't waste time on the cruise deciding where I wanted to go the next day. However, the problem with the excursions was you never had enough time. You were constantly hurrying from one site to the next, with little time to actually take in what you were seeing nor enough time to take pictures. An example was when we went from Florence to Pisa. First the bus broke down and we had to wait on the side of the highway for another bus. The new bus took an hour to arrive. The new bus had no air conditioning and it was 98 degrees outside. It took us one and half hours to get from Florence to Pisa, with no air conditioning and when we arrived in Pisa, we had a half hour to use the facilities and see Pisa (Leaning Tower).

Also, I took too many clothes for "Smart Dress" for dinner. They had 3 formal nights and almost every other evening dinner was casual. I did use the laundry services twice that Royal Caribbean provides and it was great and only cost $25.00 a bag.

Overall, our accommodations were great, the ship was a comfortable size, the staff was outstanding and the ports were everything I had hoped for. The food and entertainment (activities) are just ok. Definitely, not the same from 10 years ago when you came back 10 pounds heavier and you never wanted to leave the ship because you would miss so many activities on board from the minute you woke up until the wee hours of the morning.

I was very pleased with Splendour of the Seas and would highly recommended this trip - but manage your expectations for excursions limiting your sites for quality or knowing in advance the more you try to pack in - the less time you will have to absorb what you are seeing! Less

Read more Serenade of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Serenade of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review: Serenade of the Seas Superior Oceanview Stateroom Deck 9 8570

Our cabin was perfect - location was center of ship, close enough to the elevators and main atrium, balcony view was great. We were on the side of the ship that passed by St. Mark's Square in Venice. Decks were packed with people. We were able to stand on our balcony and get the best photo shots! Cabin perfect for two people. It was sound proof!

I was not as impressed with Barcelona. It is definitely a party town.

Accademia Museum

Very nice but rushed!

Field of Miracles

(5)
Beautiful but too little amount of time spent here!

Leaning Tower of Pisa

(5)
We only got half hour to see all of Field of Dreams! Too rushed but beautiful!

Statue of David

(5)
Unbelievable! Next to Trevi Fountain, next most impressive site!

Nice Walking Tour

(5)
Nice and Eze - next to Postiano, Eze is my second favorite! Wish I had more time here!

Amalfi Coast

(5)
Wow! What a ride - beautiful and scary at the same time!

Positano Walking Tour

(5)
The best town of all! We loved it!

Colosseum

Too, too crowded!

Sistine Chapel

(4)
Too crowded but beautiful!

St. Peter's Square

(4)
Didn't see too much! Rushed thru!

Trevi Fountain

(5)
Best fountain in all Europe!

Vatican Museums

(4)
Too crowded but beautiful! Rushed thru!

Mestrovic Gallery

(3)
We were rushed through the gallery. Many different excursions to the gallery at one time! Also went to the cellars of the old Palace. More relaxed and enjoyable. Then went to Omis for lunch. Good experience!

Doge's Palace

(4)
Secret Venice Walking tour was the best - took us through the back streets of Venice. Did it in the am when it wasn't so crowded and hot. Afterwards, we walked Venice and had lunch on our own and didn't get lost once because of this excursion. Doge's Palace was good along with St.Mark's Square and the Basilica. I thought that the gondola ride was too short for the amount of money we paid.