Grandeur of the Seas Cruise Review by Robert Upshall

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Grandeur of the Seas Cruise Review by Robert Upshall
Grandeur of the Seas
Grandeur of the Seas
Member Name: Robert Upshall
Cruise Date: June 2012
Embarkation: Venice
Destination: Eastern Mediterranean
Cabin Category: JS
See More About: Grandeur of the Seas Cruise Reviews | Eastern Mediterranean Cruise Reviews | Royal Caribbean Cruise Deals
Shore Excursions 5+

Archeological cruise in the Greek Islands the Mainland
We took this cruise primarily for the itinerary. I particularly wanted to visit Santorini and the Palace of Knossos on Crete. We were not on the cruise for the Belly Flop competition or the Karaoke or the other game shows (or the Casino). Nor were we there to see how many Martinis we could drink or because we expected Cordon Bleu cooking. There are only two days when you are sailing all day and as we had a Junior suite with a balcony I spent most of that time on the Balcony reading my Kindle. I only used the Wi-Fi to download the daily newspaper onto the Kindle (hey you're on holiday - why take a laptop with you). But it was slow and it cost about two to three dollars of computer time each day. I did use the computers in the business centre on two occasions to conduct some essential business and because of the slow speed it did work out expensive.

I think we got more or less exactly what we expected but I would say that the Dining Room staff and our Cabin Attendant were attentive and seemed caring. I certainly didn't begrudge them their tips.

The guides (provided through the Greek Company 'Navigator' varied from quite good to excellent). I would single out two guides for special mention. The guide on Crete that took us around Knossos (and later as an extra in his and our free time a wonderful tour of the local archeological museum for those particularly interested). If everyone in Greece is as conscientious as he then they will be out of their economic woes in no time - I suspect that might not be true. The other guide I would single out is the guide on the tour to Corinth (which we took instead of going to Athens where we had already been). He had some idiosyncratic theories but this was entertaining to listen to.

The shows on the boat were good. Not up to the standard of the Allure, of course, but one suspects that on a ship more than twice as big they can pay artists at least twice as much and getting stronger acts - but I thought what we got was at least as good as my expectations.

Publication Date: 07/07/12