Freedom of the Seas Cruise Review by Peggy13

Cruise Date: June 2012
Embarkation: Port Canaveral
Cabin Category: E1

Fantastic week aboard the Freedom
Just got back from a great week on the Freedom. We flew to Orlando the morning of the cruise....I know this is a no no, but we had family obligations Saturday night and could not fly in earlier. Anyway, we were very nervous with the impending T.S. Debby - not knowing where or when she was going. We arrived in time 8:45 a.m. Sunday morning - no problems.

Check in: Arrived about 11:00 a.m. for check in. It was easy and quick. Boarding the ship approx. 11:30 a.m.

We went first to check out our dr table. We were on the 3rd floor - Leonardo's dr and had a table of 14. We were only a party of 10, so were wondering who else would be at our table. We were very happy with the location; it was directly under the grand staircase and a few tables away from the Captain's Table.

Next, we were all starving so we headed to the Windjammer - found a nice big table and had some lunch. It wasn't crowded there yet.

After walking around the ship, our cabins were ready about 1:00. We unpacked and continued to check out the ship. This was my 8Th RCL cruise, so we pretty much knew the layout - it was similar to the Mariner, but longer.

We met up with our friends around 2:00.

Muster drill was approx. 4:00 - right before the sailing. We all had to report at on the decks.

We went to the Welcome Aboard Show at 7:00 before our late seating dinner (8:00). Show was good and we knew Graham Seymour would be a great CD.

After a rainy sail away, we had beautiful weather the rest of the week.

The first day at sea, the pool chairs were going quick, but we all managed to get a few chairs and shared with each other. The kids went rock climbing.

Went to the Meet & Mingle for a little while and met some other CC people. Those Mango Tangos are the greatest.

Cabins: We had two Hump cabins on the 7th floor - 7644 and 7642 and our boys had the corner AFT on the 7th floor 7708. We loved the convenience of the Hump cabins, but also loved the huge balcony on the corner AFT (We had that same cabin on the Mariner).

Ports:

Labadee: this was our 3rd time there and its been 5 years since we've been. So many changes - its beautiful. Very relaxing day doing nothing - just floating on those mats!!

Jamaica: a couple boys went on an ATV excursion, a few went on a zipline excursion, and some of us just stayed on the ship most morning, then went aboard afternoon. It was great staying on the ship relaxing in the Solarium with noone there!

Grand Cayman: Husband and boys did the kayak and snorkel adventure. Our friends did the Stingray City adventure. Myself and the girls went to Sea Grapes beach. A great day.

Cozumel: Our favorite day - we took a van to Nochi Cocum. Perfect little paradise.

Food:

We loved all the food - my boys were ordering two dinners every night - they couldn't decide what to eat. Our waiters were great too, and we loved those after dinner shooters we had every night. I think between all of us, we came home with about 15 souvenir glasses!

Windjammer was pretty crowded most lunch and breakfast times, but you could always manage to find a place to sit.

Promenade:

Beautiful. Liked the Cafe Promenade. My kids tried the cupcakes - I kept saying all week I need to try one, but I was always so full!! But I did have my share of the Coconut Cookies....yummy.

Saw a few parades and a Rock Show one night with Graham Seymour - very fun.

Shows:

The shows were good - I missed the Once Upon a Time Show and sorry I did because people were saying it was so good. Saw the Marquee show, ice show, late night comedy show, Quest, Farewell Show and the Now You See It.

Embarkation:

Little slow getting our luggage. We had a 12:30 flight and with our family in 3 separate cabins, we all had different times to leave the ship - different colored tags and numbers on our luggage. Anyway, we left at approx. 8:15 - was suppose to meet our shuttle driver at 9:00, but didn't actually get all our luggage till after 9:30. We made our flight, but didn't have much time to spare.

All in All: Loved the Freedom - would probably cruise her again.

Publication Date: 07/05/12