Adventure of the Seas Cruise Review by Elizabeth Henderson: Poor value for money

Elizabeth Henderson
0 Post

Compare Prices on Adventure of the Seas Europe - Western Mediterranean Cruises

Poor value for money

Sail Date: June 2012
Destination: Europe - Western Mediterranean
Embarkation: Other

I paid £3,650 for a seven day cruise for two adults and my 16 year old son, was it worth it, NO. Last year I paid £4,650 for 3 adults and 1 child to stay in a 5* Hotel for 2 weeks All Inclusive in the Dominican Republic.
My grievances with Royal Caribbean are:
We were allocated a Stateroom with a 10% mast obstruction obscuring the ocean view, the reality was, the mast did not obscure the view, the surrounding platforms on ours and other levels above us created approximately a 50% obstruction of our ocean views.

The mini fridge is replenished every day with drinks and snacks, I assumed these were included in the price, since I had asked for the equivalent of an All Inclusive holiday, On day 2, I found, at the back of the fridge, a small card informing of the inflated charges for items used from the mini-fridge. i.e. £2.00 for a small bottle of water!

When you book the holiday, Royal Caribbean recommend you pay the gratuity charges up front, More you are then issued with vouchers, the evening before departure to give to your Stateroom Attendant and the Waiter, Assistant Waiter and Head Waiter in the A La Carte Restaurant, this preferred method of tipping does not allow you to give the vouchers to other staff members who may have been particularly helpful during your stay, when I queried this at Guest Relations, I was informed, "You can make additional cash payments to other staff"

Also, we had to pay additional charges for the Soda Package, this only included fizzy drinks, not bottled water and we also had to purchase a Wine package, I was informed by a crew member that I could only consume the wine in the Restaurant's, I could not use my wine package in any of the numerous Bar's on the ship, I could only use the Soda Package or pay for other alcoholic drinks.
TOO MUCH HASSLE and TOO MUCH EXPENSE for an already expensive holiday. Less

Read more Adventure of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Adventure of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review: Adventure of the Seas Junior Suite Deck 6 6694

I was informed at time of enquiry/booking that the price I was being quoted for included a Junior Suite Stateroom, On arrival I was disappointed that our ocean view was approximately 50% obstructed by platforms and railings around the rear of the boat on our's and levels above us. There was three of us sharing a room, the third bed is a sofa bed, it was well worn and had the stains to prove it. The decor is dated and the bathroom is very compact & plastic. The balcony has two Sun loungers with missing and broken straps and a Sun chair with footstool. The balcony furniture is made of plastic construction, there are no mattresses or cushions "to soften the blow" We had a flatscreen TV with interactive facility, we could find out ship/cruise information from this or book room service. We were also provided with a coffee machine but this leaked, I requested a replacement but this was not forthcoming. There is lots of storage facility, we were not disturbed by passenger noise, the air conditioning was good as was the bath/shower water pressure.