Celebrity Solstice Cruise Review by mckennasit

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Celebrity Solstice Cruise Review by mckennasit
Celebrity Solstice
Celebrity Solstice
Member Name: mckennasit
Cruise Date: June 2012
Embarkation: Barcelona
Destination: Eastern Mediterranean
Cabin Category: 1A
See More About: Celebrity Solstice Cruise Reviews | Eastern Mediterranean Cruise Reviews | Celebrity Cruise Deals

First time in Europe
Well...I looked forward to a vacation like this for years....this was our 30th cruise...but never been to europe before...mostly carribbean, puerto rico, st. john, etc...did an alaskan and a panama canal one...and mexican riveria...we our vip on carnival....a few rcc....a few ncl....one holland american....one princess...first time on celebrity...We booked everything including airfare with celebrity...we chose our excursions ahead of time.

We are from the Tampa Bay area....so we flew from Tampa to Atlanta and then on to Barcelona...we left Tampa about 1:30 and arrived in Spain around 8:30 am...day of cruise...my one regret is that we didn't get to see much of Barcelona...the airport...and the port....If I were to do it again...i would probably stay a few days later and enjoy this city as well. embarkation went very smootly..we had transfers from airport to the ship...got into line and on ship right away...rooms were not ready till 1:30...so we went on deck and ate lunch.

CABIN:...remarkable..we had a balcony room....the bathroom was the largest we have ever had...more compartments to fill then any other ship....huge shower....it was great...I was a bit concerned with closets at first....there were only two..and we are use to 3 to 4....after deciding where to put things....we also discovered that the room had 5 drawers near the desk....and also above the bed was more storage...so....putting everything away for a 12 night trip was no problem. The room had a very large safe and easy to operate...Beds were comfortable and soft..and our room steward, Duvor was excellent.

FOOD: we had late seating...and on this boat that was 8:45...if I had to do this again, I would have chose earlier. When we got back from long excursions.....we just wanted to shower, eat and go to bed!...so earlier would have been better....When we did eat in the main dining hall...it was lovely...great steaks! Service was fantastic....we ate once in the Tuscany...they offered a 20% discount and we took them up on it.....It was Fabulous..had a filet mignon....My friends went to Silk Harvest...and I ordered room service that night....they said they enjoyed it....Room service had a wide menu...i got some chicken wings and quesodias....we also ordered breakfast a few times in the room. The one disappointing food item would be the cafeteria...buffet...at first...it was fantastic...until you found out that it really didn't change the 12 days we were at sea. Some nights we were tired from the excursions..that we would eat in here...and they had the same food..day in...day out....we are use to the buffet changing....matter of fact..the Allure...has the same menu in the buffet as it does in the Restaurant.....we loved that! Don't miss the pasta bar...it was the best....they do offer several sorbet's and ice cream....desserts were abundant and some of the best....

Casino....one word...SMALL...we enjoy going to the casino after dinner and play the penny slots....not much of a variety here...only good thing..NO SMOKING....it was nice

Shops are a little strange in the fact that they are on both floors 4 and 5....we didn't frequent much of floor 5...so we missed those shops most of the time...they did have a 75% sale off of there logo merchandise....

SHOWS:....ummmm...how do i say this....BORING!...this is where it really fell down...singers that can't really sing...the only night I enjoyed was a 70's party..were they got dressed up and played songs from that era...other than that.....we entertained ourselves playing cards, casino, reading...etc....

EXCUrSIONS:...one word...WOW...being that this was a first time for all of us..there were 2 couples...we were in awe of everything.....

SPLIT croatia...lovely...very clean...went to see a sculptures house, museum and shopping district....very clean and lovely....

Venice:...one word...BREATHTAKING...I kept saying to myself..am I really here?....just a beautiful city with lovely people...lots of bakeries...and gelato on every corner.

KOTOR, montenegro....I have to admit I never heard of this place before..its a country that was formed from the breakup of Yugoslavia....well...this was a lovely surprise...I loved it soooo much, I wouldn't mind living there...very friendly....clean...old city...one of the best

Naples:....we took a tour of a vineyard here...it was lovely...had pizza and enjoyed the bakery...beautiful monuments...statues...etc.

ROME:...busy city....but lovely old world culture abounds.....trevi fountain...vatican...st peters basilica....just breathtaking

FLorence:....lovely....went on a ten hour tour and it was just great

Toulon...we opted for a tour of Marsielle...this was a little disappointing...we went to the famous churn onto of the mountain.....the guide did not go in with us...so we had to guess at what we were looking at...In Italy...all the guides went in and described everything to us...then there was sooooo much traffic....they gave us an hour in the city to shop...really..an hour?.....much more time was needed on this excursion....

Disebarkation went as smoothly as the beginning.....

all in all this was a lovely vacation.....Not sure if I would Immediately book on Celebrity again.....our favorite is still Carnival , with RCCL ALLure in second place

Publication Date: 07/05/12