Celebrity Summit Cruise Review by latenthart: Royal Caribbean cruisers take first Celebrity cruise

latenthart
Member Since 2006

Embarkation Not Rated

Compare Prices on Celebrity Summit Bermuda Cruises

Royal Caribbean cruisers take first Celebrity cruise

Sail Date: June 2012
Destination: Bermuda
Embarkation: Other

We are a professional couple, little nerdy but sure have partied before. We enjoy royal Caribbean and prefer the voyager class over the freedom class. We have yet to sail on the oasis. We dislike Carnival, like Hampton inns and westins when vacationing. We have cruised Southern,Eastern, and Western Caribbean. This was our first visit to Bermuda. We chose it because it was a home port and didnt have to fly.

The celebrity summit was pretty and I felt the cleanliness and service were equal to rccl. Everyone kept saying the food was better on Celebrity but it seemed the same to me, adequately mediocre. It did however always come out hot. We went to the dining room all but 3 nites in which we tried the speciality restaurants normandie and qsuine. Qsuine is fun and should be tried. If you wait til you see someone at breakfast taking reservations they will offer you 20 percent off to try it. Normandie's service was OUTSTANDING. Sad thing is I remember when the main dining room had More service like that. If you really are a food snob, I recommend eating only in specialty restaurants

While service was good throughout the ship, on the whole I felt the employees didnt really smile very much and seemed overworked and tired. Of course there were exceptions but in general we feel RCCL workers are much happier.

We booked last minute and all that was left was ocean view guarantee. Paid 819 per person plus tax and grats. We ended up with room 6012, handicapped accessible room. IT WAS HUGE! It was exactly like regular room except there was a flip down seat/bars in shower and bars by toilet. Turned out to be a great thing because we hit the remnants of tropical storm debby and those handles came in handy! Room was nice, however oddly parts of the bathroom were not updated, but nothing terrible unless you simply need the ritz to travel.

We bought the premium beverage package 55 per day per person. Only problem is the martini bar and rendezvous lounge (who seemed to have the nicest drink menu) were only open after 5 and generally you stand around waiting because they dont always have enough servers working. The main dining rooms drink service was terrible. 3 nites in a row, I didnt get my first drink order brought to me till I was half way through dessert. I know no one wants someone harassing you for drinks but I dont know if the packages are worth it if you cant even get a drink. Am I suppose to bring a drink with me to dinner? I asked a three days in a row, if the pool bar could get a three olive vodka I liked brought to the pool bar. No dice. I even asked on the third nite at guest relations. No dice. On royal I never had a problem if I asked and as a matter of fact they seemed happy to do it. Each bar stocked different alcohol, so if one bar doesnt have what you are looking for, check around.

Disco- played a mix of wedding music and pop. Sometimes you were like wow, this is great dance music that is on the radio and then suddenly they would switch to sweet caroline. I prefer royal's discos hands down.

The shows were entertaining enough. My husband liked the sexy costumes. The comedian however was exceptional. There also was a Spanish singer who was extremely entertaining and talented. I The Smithsonian seminars were on geology the week we were on, so my hubbie, who happens to love earth science really liked that.

Spa- Had 3 massages while on board. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND FHE (prounounce FAY). She was wonderful. Avoid Nishka. Seems to be going through the motions, not really actively trying to help you relax. For 119 dollars for 50 minutes, I would like someone who isnt just mediocre.

There were over 300 kids under 18 on board, but overall I think royal is a much better fit for the multi generational family. I think this cruise really is more about relaxing than being high energy. I really wish there was a way to combine the higher end feel of celebrity with the fun of royal Caribbean. Would I do Celebrity again? Yes, but on the solstice class probably. Would I bring my 16 yr old son? Probably not. Celebrity seems to be a better fit for couples who just need to relax. Less

Read more Celebrity Summit cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Celebrity Summit Review >>

Cabin review: Celebrity Summit Oceanview Stateroom Plaza Deck (3) 6012

6012 handicapped accessible quiet, but one of the bumpiest places in a storm, (front of ship seemed to rock more in high seas). We found ourselves seeking midship lower decks during high seas.