Carnival Splendor Cruise Review by Melcuan2

Embarkation: Los Angeles
Destination: Mexican Riviera
Cabin Category: 8D

Fun Family Vacation on the Splendor
I would like to start out by saying that there were 15 in our party. Two married couples and our teenage kids and adult nieces and nephews. For the amount of people we traveled with, I cannot stress enough how smoothly embarkation and disembarkation was. Kudos to Carnival for being so organized.

The ship itself was very nice, very clean and didn't seem crowded at all for the amount of passengers. I was really surprised at that. The only time it seemed really crowded was the day they had the Chocolate Buffet. It seemed EVERYONE on the ship was in the buffet area. Still, not going to really complain that people didn't want to miss the chocolate. Who wouldn't want to indulge in that? The pink decor was a little much but nothing that would ruin the cruise or make me complain. The pink, leopard donuts that adorned the elevator areas were a bit funky. The ship is very nice though, the main areas, lobbies, bars and casino were very nice. The buffet areas and Lido Deck were nice as well. I cant stress enough how clean they keep the ship. I was impressed. I did, however, find it strange that a ship with 3600 passengers did not have toilet seat covers in their public restrooms. Especially with the stress they put on washing your hands and using the hand sanitizers. Maybe its not good for their waste removal. Not sure but keep it in mind and its a good idea to pack some alcohol wipes. I gave them out to the family when we boarded and they are very inexpensive.

Our cabins were nice and spacious with plenty of storage for our things. Lots of drawers and closets. We loved having a balcony. I won't cruise any other way. Its nice to let the air in, take in the view, and watch a pretty sunrise or sunset. Our cabins were kept immaculate and our cabin steward Francisco was amazing. He had a lot to deal with us having 7 cabins and 15 rowdy people. He was excellent. I will add here that the service and the staff were all friendly, helpful and very very attentive to all of our needs.

We had most of our breakfasts either in the cabin (room service) or at the buffet. Everything was adequate, nothing over the top spectacular but not bad. We like to eat pretty light and healthy for breakfast. I wont say that for the rest of our meals. Our health-conscientiousness went right out the window but we wanted to enjoy our vacation and all the great food. Dinners were excellent. We had the late seating in the Gold Pearl dining room and loved mostly everything we had. The selection was good and the desserts were amazing. Our waitstaff were all great.

We did use the gym and the spa mostly every day. Not too crowded like I had read in other reviews. We did have to wait for a treadmill but not very long and that was probably on only one of the days. Some of the days we ran on the track on the top deck. I do have to say that I didn't really like where the track was because you were running and taking in the fumes from the engine on one side of it. I didn't really like that but there was something amazing about getting our run outside with a view of Cabo in the background. One day it was just way too windy so we opted for the treadmills. It sure made the indulging a lot less on our waistlines and we felt energized for our busy days.

The spa was nice but I was surprised that it didn't have the amenities that most spas have in their whirlpool and steam areas. There were no cold towels out, no robes (you had to bring the one from your cabin), and no fresh fruit out in the quiet room. I was a little disappointed in that because when you pay to use the spa, you want to feel pampered. The Therapy mineral pool, hot stone chairs and steam rooms were very nice and relaxing.

The entertainment and activities were pretty good. We enjoyed Tommy Green Jr.s music by the pool. Bingo and Karaoke were fun and we spent a lot of time in the Casino.

Overall we had a wonderful time. Carnival definitely exceeded my expectations and we would all definitely travel with Carnival again. The Splendor was an awesome ship.!!!

Publication Date: 07/05/12