Rhapsody of the Seas Cruise Review by LOU: Rhapsody to Alaska 6/22/12 - 6/29/12

Rhapsody to Alaska 6/22/12 - 6/29/12

Sail Date: June 2012
Destination: Alaska
Embarkation: Seattle

This is cruise #20 or 21 for my wife and I. This time we traveled with two other couples all in our mid fifties. We flew out of Newark New Jersey to Seattle. The flight arrangements were great and the transfer to the ship was very smooth. We were on the ship before noon. Check in was very fast.
The ship was in very good shape. The crew was very friendly and helpful throughout the entire cruise.
Having mostly cruised to the Caribbean and Europe in the past, it was a little strange to leave great summer weather for colder temps. There was little opportunity to relax on a lounge chair by the pool. At least there were no "chair hogs" saving chairs with their towels or books. As a result, most of our time during sea days was spent inside.
The food was very good at the dining room and especially good at the "specialty restaurants". Giovanni's was the best experience. Well worth the extra fee. If you go to the Chop's Grill, make sure they understand exactly how you want your More steak prepared. I ordered my filet mignon medium and it was served almost raw. I sent it back and it returned still too rare but I ate it. If you like sushi, you must try "Izumi". (I think that's the name)
The highlight of our cruise was our Helicopter ride / Dog Sledding excursion on a glacier in Juneau. None of us had ever been on a helicopter before and certainly not on a dog sled. The excursion was $500.00 per person but worth the cost. If you don't like excursions, I would not recommend a cruise to Alaska. The towns are nice for shopping and eating but you can only spend a certain amount of time shopping and you will do enough eating aboard the ship.Our second excursion was a train ride which was very scenic and informative but compared to the dog sledding, not as exciting. Entertainment on the ship was the same as every other ship and every other cruise line. Comedians were very funny, singers and dancers were average, musicians were very good.
Disembarkation was very smooth. I couldn't believe how early passengers were leaving the ship. Transfer back to the airport was smooth. Now, I just have to adjust to the time difference.
I don't have time to get into every specific detail but If anyone has questions, feel free to Email me at LORRICHIO@aol.com Less

Read more Rhapsody of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Rhapsody of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review: Rhapsody of the Seas Superior Oceanview Stateroom Deck 7 7636

AVERAGE SIZE CABIN. ENOUGH SPACE FOR ALL OF OUR CLOTHES. VERY QUIET.

Dog Sledding

(5)
HELICOPTER AND DOG SLEDDING WERE ONE COMBINED INTO ONE TOUR. GREAT EXPERIENCE !

Helicopter Tour

(5)
SAME COMPANY DEALING WITH CRUISE LINE BUT OFFERED A DISCOUNT IF BOOKED INDEPENDENTLY. BEST EXPERIENCE OF THE CRUISE.

White Pass Scenic Railway

(4)
NICE EXCURSION, GREAT SCENERY.