Nieuw Amsterdam Cruise Review by H.Robinson

Cruise Date: June 2012
Embarkation: Venice
Destination: Western Mediterranean
Cabin Category: VB
See More About: Nieuw Amsterdam Cruise Reviews | Western Mediterranean Cruise Reviews | Holland America Cruise Deals

Ship Facts: Nieuw Amsterdam Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Nieuw Amsterdam Deck Plans
Excellent but with some annoyances
Overall the cruise was excellent.We were particularly pleased with the assistance given as my wife has walking difficulties and was in a wheelchair for embarkation and disembarkation.The staff could not have been more helpful and we were taken straight to our cabin before being guided to the Lido restaurant for Lunch.

This review will concentrate on a few areas where we thought things could have been improved.

The amount of hanging space in the wardrobe for hanging long dresses or even long shirts/skirts was non existent, Bearing in mind this is a new ship we could not understand it. We had to use the robe hooks to hang long items of clothing from.

Our pre-cruise confirmation stated two formal nights but there were in fact three. However the dress code for these nights seems to be ignored. It is pointless having formal nights if people are allowed to walk around in shorts and beach sandals - in fact my wife and I found ourselves dancing alongside such a couple when we were dressed in Dinner suit and evening dress!

Pinnacle grill was well worth the extra cost but we were disappointed with the Tamarind. I was also disappointed with the booking system. having been told a 7pm booking was unavailable on the day of the booking I was approached by a member of the Tamarind team and offered a complimentary meal on the same day at the time I wanted.When I queried this I was given a 7pm reservation. Again this is not fair on people who pre-book.

Entertainment in the Showroom at sea was poor and repetitive. The other entertainment was good but not spectacular.

Waiters were bordering on pestering you to buy drinks from the bar. This seemed to be profit led rather than customer led. Also the quality of free drinks provided at lunchtime was so poor you needed to but from the bar.

The last and most annoying thing. I pre-ordered some bottled beer and wine for the cabin but it took three days and four phone calls to get a bottle opener. I had to threaten to return the drinks to the front desk!

As I say these are niggles rather than major complaints but for the price paid it would have been better for them not to have been there.

I would certainly Cruise with Holland America again but would also not be afraid of trying one of their competitors.

Publication Date: 07/04/12