Sea Princess Cruise Review by RoLoHa: First and last Princess cruise

First and last Princess cruise

Sail Date: June 2012
Destination: Alaska
Embarkation: San Francisco

I will start out saying we had to leave the ship early due for medical reasons, but sailed more than half the cruise. There were some aspects of the cruise we enjoyed but for the most part not impressed at all.

From the day two outbreak of norovirus which caused gulag like measures to be taken in the dining rooms and all food service areas and greatly reduced any aspect of luxury there might have been otherwise and pretty much ruined the experience. (Having your food salted for you and cream put in your coffee by a stranger since they didn't have packets in the dining rooms, to no olives or cherries being served in cocktails, no pretzels or nuts served at the bars, long lines at buffets just to name a few and believe me there are way more) I also found customer service to be pitiful 90% of the time. With only one exception I found the staff at the Purser's Desk to be lacking in knowledge about how to find or get things done on the ship and quite rude in their demeanor More and responses. I am not saying they should be able to fix or respond to everything, but, they should be able to (politely) direct you to whatever it is you need or get an answer quickly and get back to you?

Our cabin was cleaned and neat but very obviously well worn and in need of refreshing from the stained carpet, to holes in the drapes and the rust on the balcony. The mattress was ridiculously over used and had a deep curve and valley and clearly should have been replaced ten cruises ago. The room steward first added a foam pad normally used in suites which proved useless since it took the shape of the mattress underneath in just 30 seconds of use. When I continued to complain, the Deck Supervisor was called to check and he agreed the solution wasn't working but wasn't sure they could do anything else since all cabins were full and he did not know of any available spare mattresses. They did manage to get us replacement mattresses after that, but I think they had a whole lot of nerve having the original mattresses in the room to begin with.

On a cruise in a cold area, policies like giving out warm blankets on deck only two times per day for short periods of time, left the outdoor areas pretty much desolate, and not a whole lot to do indoors while at sea. The food was good but nothing memorable or exceptional in the traditional dining or buffet areas. Less

Read more Sea Princess cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Sea Princess Review >>

Cabin review: Sea Princess Oceanview Doulbe with Balcony Caribe Deck

Near elevator and laundry which is convenient but the Hallway was noisy.

Although touristy, they are some good places to eat (Try the Halibut Fajitas at The Sombrero Mexican Restaurant on Frankin) and shop. The tram to the top of Mt Roberts was worth it for the views. If you get a chance to go to the Juneau airport, don't let the snack bar look of the only restaurant fool you -- the True Cod Melt and Alaskan Amber Beer Battered True Cod Fish and Chips were really delish, especially washed down by an ice cold Alaskan Amber Draft. Since we got off the ship here, we stayed downtown at the Baranoff Hotel for one night, and the staff there was super!
Read 838 Juneau Reviews

Short walk and a nice little town.

Pub tour

(4)
I probably would not do this again but we did have fun trying local beers and had some nice appetizers while getting to know some of our fellow passengers, and our tour driver was a hoot and very helpful! I think I would have better enjoyed Victoria just getting out there on my own to explore and sightsee.