Serenade of the Seas Cruise Review by garyjayne7: First Time Cruisers

First Time Cruisers

Sail Date: June 2012
Destination: Europe - Western Mediterranean
Embarkation: Barcelona

Firstly I must just say that we booked this cruise 8 months before the sail date and RCI changed the itinerary several time including reversing the whole cruise which meant we had the first 2 days at sea not the last 2. this was a shame as the 2 days rest at the end would have been welcome. That aside we had a fantastic time. I had not really considered the whole cruise experience before i went I had just been thinking about the ports of call and saw the ship as a means to get there but When we set sail I could not beleive what a great experience it was going to be.....in short I was loving it.

Embarkation was very good taking about 45 minutes (This seemed ok but have nothing to compare to).It was straight to the windjammer for lunch. I found the quality of food there very good, we ate breakfast there most days and lunch when we were at sea It does get busy we always found a table. We used the MDR several evenings and found the food very good most of the time. We had my time More dining so did not always have the same staff and as the waiters knew we were MTD and had been with other waiter they were a bit OTT as they wanted our tips. This was a minor gripe though.I also have to say how lovely Stephanie was, (the lady who was at the desk when entering the MDR)always getting us a table for 3. There was always somewhere to eat, even by the pool there was a Paella one day, bbq the next, huge apple pies and ice cream on another occasion. That could be the reason I gained 6lb. I knew I should have used the gym !!!!!!!!!!!!

Our Suite was very spacious with exceptional storage space and a bath too (which did not get used !!!!!!!)an LCD TV, kettle and coffee maker with tea and coffee replenished each day by our lovely attendant Rosa.The sofa bed was not so good my sister had one night trying to sleep on it but is was fairly worn and practically no matress. They arranged a fold out single bed for her which was better but was not ideal particularly when you have spent £2000 plus on a holiday. We also heard an occasional rumble from the windjammer above us but nothing bad enough to disturb us.

We used the Schooner bar most evenings and the guys (francesco & Christina) in there were also very friendly. The piano player was not so good !!!!. I found the entertainmaent pretty good, perhaps a little repetitive. But Disco night was fantastic and a credit to the entertainers they had the whole centrum 'GROOVING !!!'

I read so much about expensive drinks and yes they are not cheap but i found the prices to be acceptable. I have been to some Pubs/Hotels in UK and paid more.

All in all I had an amazing time I far outweighed my expectations and we are now looking at where to go dcruising next.

The last review I read before our cruise was Whalflower and it concerneed me a little as he did not give a good review. I should not have been worried serenade of the seas made me a happy chappy. Less

Read more Serenade of the Seas cruise reviews >>