“This was an outstanding cruise in every respect”
Cruise review of Holland America Ryndam

bobby3334 Ryndam 5 This was an outstanding cruise in every respect
bobby3334
Member Since 2012
No Helpful Votes
Overall Member Rating
I can't add any negatives. I took some ship excursions but went mostly on my own since I lived in Europe for 4 years. I used Alla in St. Petersburg only due to their small vechiles - max is 16 and took 2 day grand tour. Outstanding. The food, cabin and other stops were exceptional. I went on 3 ship excusions. The only problem is I came back home exhaused from the new sights and spent too much time staying up late and getting up early. I would not have needed a balcony on this itinerary due to the clouds and temperatures..around 55. I probably spent 20 minutes on it all together. Fellow passangers were very well traveled and since I was alone the interaction with Brits, Canadians, South Americans was great as was the food in the dining room. I used room service for breakfast daily. Perfect food and exactly on time as set the night before. I liked the smaller and older ship. Reminded me of times gone by. The entertainment was not Las Vegas but I wasn't going to Las Vegas. Great Walsh comedian that I saw twice and 4 women string classical group - never heard better, anywhere. They played in one of the bars and as a show one evening. HAL is one of the only lines that has a Catholic Priest saying daily Mass and this was great for me as a Catholic.
  • Sail Date: June 2012
  • Shore Excursions
  • Value for Money

Cabin review: Vista Suite with Verandah

B051
Great location mid ship on the same level as the most expensive suites and a swimming pool. The rest of the ship doesn't seem to know this deck exists and was quite and perfect. On the Baltic trip I could have done without a balacony since I used it only about 30 minutes the whole time. This was a great cabin. I was alone, of course, so there was plenty of room for 1 person. I usued the spa tub daily and was happy to have it. Also used DVR bringing a few movies from home although a complete library aboard.

Port
Bus tour with ship; raining. Church of the Rock visited and not to be missed.Early on a Sunday morning so glad I was on the bus.
Read 523 Helsinki Reviews
I took the ship excusion to Berlin with a brief tour and 3 hours on your own. I had been there before the fall of the Wall and wanted to see the change. Disappointed. Berlin is now horribly congested and many ugly buildings have replaced some classics, e.g. the main train station....now an ugly glass building. However, it was worth the time to see what happened to the city in the past 20 years.
Yusupov Palace
Very interesting; excellent guide, very well read but has revised history, e.g. Rasputin was a saint, etc. Interesting to see how fast revision can take place.
Port
Walking tour on my own.. Interesting but not exceptional.
Read 29 Visby Reviews
Published 07/02/12
No Helpful Votes
Read Cruise Critic’s Ryndam Review
Share feedback
Thank you!  Cruise Critic values your feedback.
How can we improve this page?