Ryndam Cruise Review by bobby3334: This was an outstanding cruise in every respect

bobby3334
Member Since 2012

Compare Prices on Ryndam Baltic & Northern Europe Cruises

This was an outstanding cruise in every respect

Sail Date: June 2012
Destination: Baltic & Northern Europe
Embarkation: Other

I can't add any negatives. I took some ship excursions but went mostly on my
own since I lived in Europe for 4 years. I used Alla in St. Petersburg only due to their small vechiles - max is 16 and took 2 day grand tour. Outstanding.

The food, cabin and other stops were exceptional. I went on 3 ship excusions.

The only problem is I came back home exhaused from the new sights and spent too much time staying up late and getting up early.

I would not have needed a balcony on this itinerary due to the clouds and temperatures..around 55. I probably spent 20 minutes on it all together.

Fellow passangers were very well traveled and since I was alone the interaction with Brits, Canadians, South Americans was great as was the food in the dining room.

I used room service for breakfast daily. Perfect food and exactly on time as set the night before. I liked the smaller and older ship. Reminded me of times gone by. The entertainment was not Las More Vegas but I wasn't going to Las Vegas. Great Walsh comedian that I saw twice and 4 women string classical group - never heard better, anywhere. They played in one of the bars and as a show one evening.

HAL is one of the only lines that has a Catholic Priest saying daily Mass and this was great for me as a Catholic. Less

Read more Ryndam cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Ryndam Review >>

Cabin review: Ryndam Verandah Sutie Verandah 051

Great location mid ship on the same level as the most expensive suites and a swimming pool. The rest of the ship doesn't seem to know this deck exists and was quite and perfect. On the Baltic trip I could have done without a balacony since I used it only about 30 minutes the whole time. This was a great cabin. I was alone, of course, so there was plenty of room for 1 person. I usued the spa tub daily and was happy to have it. Also used DVR bringing a few movies from home although a complete library aboard.

Bus tour with ship; raining. Church of the Rock visited and not to be missed.Early on a Sunday morning so glad I was on the bus.
Read 334 Helsinki Reviews

I took the ship excusion to Berlin with a brief tour and 3 hours on your own. I had been there before the fall of the Wall and wanted to see the change. Disappointed. Berlin is now horribly congested and many ugly buildings have replaced some classics, e.g. the main train station....now an ugly glass building. However, it was worth the time to see what happened to the city in the past 20 years.

Amber Room

(5.5)
Terrific,but so was the whole palace. I wouldn't go there just to see this.

Catherine Palace

(5.5)
About an hour and saw much; great

Church of the Savior on Spilled Blood

(5.5)
An outstanding Church not to be missed on any tour to St. Petersburg. The most beautiful by far.

City Tour

(5.5)
A beautiful city by subway, hydofoil, riverboat, bus, and walking. Great

Constantine Palace

Great

Hermitage Museum

(5.5)
The reason I went - we moved quickly but well with our small group; spent about 3 hours

Neva River Cruise

(5.5)
Great views especially of the bridges

Peter & Paul Fortress

(5.5)
Plenty of time to see inside and out; very interesting!

Peterhof Palace

(5)
Outstanding

Petroverets Walking Tour

(5.5)
Very crowded but must be seen to be believed

Russian Ballet Show

(5)
Russian Army was preforming folk show of singing, dancing and gymnastics. Great!

St. Isaac's Cathedral

(5.5)
One of the most magnificent in the work; don't miss it under any circumstances.

Yusupov Palace

(5.5)
Very interesting; excellent guide, very well read but has revised history, e.g. Rasputin was a saint, etc. Interesting to see how fast revision can take place.

Brief bus tour with ship.. included tour by boat. Great

Did it on my own! A beautiful and great "old" city
Read 350 Tallinn Reviews

Walking tour on my own.. Interesting but not exceptional.
Read 22 Visby Reviews