Veendam Cruise Review by robcin886

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Veendam Cruise Review by robcin886
Member Name: robcin886
Cruise Date: June 2012
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)
Destination: Bermuda
Cabin Category: K
See More About: Veendam Cruise Reviews | Bermuda Cruise Reviews | Holland America Cruise Deals
        3-6 5.0

Ship Facts: Veendam Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Veendam Deck Plans
Veendam
I have been on 31 cruises, but this was our first time on HAL. I have to say I was a little disappointed.

The food was great. My only complaint on the food was the creme brulee. It was terrible. No crisp top and ice cold. The #1 complaint was our dining service was extremely slow. Our waiter was trying his best and was very apologetic. It wasn't his fault. He was way over-worked. He had too many tables with the open-dining seating. We had reserved late seating and with 2 little ones, we quickly realized that was not the way to go. They were asleep most of the nights before the entree arrived.

I would think that if you have done reserved seating when you booked your cruise that you should have been priority over the people that took the open seating option. But that's just my opinion.

Was I mistaken or was there only one pool on the whole ship? There should have been a family pool and an adult pool. You couldn't ever find any pool chairs. What happened to the 30-minute-empty chair rule? I find it so rude when people place a towel on a chair and leave it there all day.

As for the shows, we couldn't see a single whole show. Since one was at 7:30pm and one at 10:00pm - and dinner is at 8:15pm (and service being slow) was a disappointment as well.

The ship had extremes of hot and cold. Air conditioners were at an uneven temperature. Just another sign that the ship is older.

I thought that the Dessert Extravanza was awesome. Three decks of wonderful and delicious desserts.

Club HAL was awesome as well. The children's activities were very good and my grandson really enjoyed them.

As for the Lido Deck - the breakfast buffet was crazy. The servers were so slow. I waited sometimes as long as 15 minutes just to get a bagel toasted because the server was busy making waffles/eggs benedicts for the person ahead of me.

The bread/toast area should be a separate area. It's not fair to make people wait for a piece of toast while a waffle/eggs benedict is being cooked.

Bermuda is wonderful. The locals were so friendly. I never felt afraid to be alone. Harbour Nights was great. We enjoyed Bermuda very much.

Publication Date: 07/02/12