Queen Elizabeth Cruise Review by Glammy Grammy: Great little getaway

Great little getaway

Sail Date: June 2012
Destination: Europe - British Isles & Western
Embarkation: Southampton

Didn't know what to expect of this short break, our first time with Cunard, so think this view is very fair of our experience on board.

Embarkation was very easy, a very handsome meet and greet line up waiting for us on board, but noticed the lack of the usual welcome cocktail or drink. Our cabins were ready as soon as we embarked and luggage arrived pretty soon after. First impressions of the ship were excellent, she is how I imagined the liners of years ago would have looked but with all the modern amenities. Our cabin was on deck 8, by the lifts, just under the lido pool grill. It was spotlessly clean, ample wardrobe space, very comfortable bed, very quiet, just wish the shower had a screen instead of a curtain.

We had lunch in the buffet, not one of my favourites on any cruise ship, the food was well cooked and presented with a good choice. Dinner in the main dining room was a little disappointing - the food was excellent but think we were unlucky with our More wait staff and also where our table was. The dining room seemed frantically busy, very noisy so not a very relaxing experience. The wine waiter was extremely rude to a lady on our table one evening without any justification. The lady was very embarrassed and even asked us had she been at fault at all, we all agreed she hadn't. No way for a wine waiter to behave to any guest, especially on a Cunard ship. Lunch in the MDR was an altogether more relaxed and enjoyable. We dined in the Pavilion restaurant one evening, this was superb in all respects. My b-i-l has to have a gluten free diet so they let him pre order his meal and cooked it especially for him. Afternoon tea in the ballroom was very special indeed, again they even brought gluten free sandwiches and cake for my b-i-l.

Breakfast in the cabin was brought on time, and there was a good selection to choose from. Breakfast in the MDR on debark morning was prompt. Just wish that it stayed open later in the morning than 9.00am for those of us who like a lie in!

I used the spa for a hot stone massage, and after the initial shock of a male therapist had one of the best treatments ever. The show on the first evening was very good with some excellent dancers, the big band in the ballroom were very good and lovely to dance to, as were the Beatles tribute group. If you wanted disco until the small hours, the yacht club was buzzing - take note if you go to bed early avoid a cabin in this area! Commodore Club was just great for cocktails and a laidback atmosphere. Wait until the last day for purchasing photographs, they put an offer of 6 for $99 as opposed to $25 for single photos, good value compared to other cruise lines.

Staff generally were professional and friendly, the ship is beautiful, and I wouldn't hesitate to cruise Cunard again, (though I still have a very large soft spot for Celebrity), and I would ask to choose my table in the dining room where it is a little quieter. Less

Read more Queen Elizabeth cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Queen Elizabeth Review >>

Cabin review: Queen Elizabeth Balcony Deck 8 8143

Great position near to the lifts (but didn't experience any noise from them)also just one flight of stairs up to the spa and pool so very convenient.