Caribbean Princess Cruise Review by bjquinn

Embarkation: Southampton
Destination: British Isles & Western Europe
Cabin Category: BC
Cabin Number: B506
See More About: Caribbean Princess Cruise Reviews | British Isles & Western Europe Cruise Reviews | Princess Cruise Deals
        16+ 5.0

Some things can't be helped -- others can
Following an arduous embarkation sail-away did not take place allegedly due to inspection issues. We found out later that a bilge pump was not operating. We spent a "sea day" in Southampton port. Information was not forthcoming from the ship officers. I think they had to bring in some special personnel for the repairs and really did not know when the ship would leave. Even with redundant systems I don't think anyone would want to go out in the ocean with a broken bilge pump. The $75 cruise credit pp did not seem adequate for the loss of some very expensive and important vacation time. When repairs were made the next afternoon we sailed on to Guernsey. It was a charming little island, but with no tours and little to do but walk around. I don't know why the captain went there instead of Cobh. According to announcements all such decisions came from the "head office" in San Diego. This was a handy way to sidestep responsibility, considering they had to deal with 3600 passengers having various agendas and levels of tolerance. Later we were informed that we were skipping Liverpool. This was a big disappointment for many. Again Guernsey would not have been missed by the majority. Food on Princes is not as good as it used to be. Don't order a steak in the MDR unless you like your meat tough and chewy. The special dining night Lobster was a little strange looking but the prawns were delicious. Wine tastings and special coffees were pushed VERY aggressively by the waiters. We could not discourage them with a simple "NO". We often had to refuse 3 or 4 times with the urgency for the sale turned up.

We ate in Sabatini's one night. I did not care for the lobster we had in there either. I am a picky eater. I thought the pasta was a little undercooked.

The International Cafe was open 24/7. Although small with not too many choices they were always there with a free treat or a bite when hunger struck. Next door you will pay for coffee or tea to go with your snack.

There were 3 formal nights, although all the brochures said only two. There were an abundance of photographers and we were able to get two outstanding portraits.

Shows were extremely short. They were ok. Cruise director Dan and assistant Collin were great and hilarious. I really liked the morning show and guys, I could care less if you shave before the program. Otherwise on board TV was not that great. Internet service was the worst I have ever experienced on a ship.

CORK We took the all-day Princess tour to the Blarney Stone. We had a lovely lunch at an Inn with Irish music and dancing. It was fun but I hate paying for lunch when I've already paid on the ship. I did not go up to the Blarney stone but my granddaughters said it's a tricky climb and the guy that holds you for the kiss was not personable and was very brusque. They were glad that I did not go. Here is a tip for UK toilet flushing. I highly recommend lightly pumping the handle several times nd then an aggressive flush. I flushed where others gave up.

DUBLIN the girls (22 and 17) went on a Princess tour of a monastery. They enjoyed it. I stayed in to do wash and relax. I Later took the ship shuttle into town (4 miles) and had a delightful time window shopping on Grafton Street with the 60 degree weather.

Belfast We could not get into Cook's tavern for lunch. It would have been fun. We just walked around. We ate in McDonalds (horrors!) The people are friendlier in the Republic of Ireland.

Inverness We had not engaged tour so we elected not to go to Glasgow. (Sadly) We were saving ourselves for Edinburgh. We found a mall where we shopped at Primark, Scotland's answer to Walmart, I guess. The girls picked up a few bargains.

Invergordon Here We all did the tour to Dunrobin Castle. This was the best tour of the cruise. Dunrobin is a working castle with lots of period furniture. They do falconry there. The gardens are modeled after Versailles. The drive was very informative with our Scotch guide. We even saw some seals. We choose this over the touristy "Loch Ness".

Edinburgh The Disappointment. As we were getting an early room service breakfast the captain announced that the port could not be attempted by tender. The waves were high and temperatures freezing. Did we attempt Newcastle which I hear has docking facilities? Of course not! We got to enjoy another SEA DAY.

Le Havre We took the 3 hour tour bus to Paris and visited Notre Dame. We also toured Paris with a stop at the Eiffel Tower. Great pictures and a fun day.

On disembarkation in Southampton we opted for a Princess tour of Windsor Castle ending at Heathrow where we stored our excess luggage before our 3 days in London. Disembarkation was delayed sadly due to someone having a heart attack on the exit gangway. This compromised our time at Windsor. We had a great British Tourist guide who was very professional.

Overall I enjoyed the trip but WAS saddened by the missed ports. After many satisfactory trips on Princess I think that budget concerns have compromised the over all quality. had a minor difficulty with the reservations which was admirably handled by Stacey at the front desk.

Lauren Loved the teen room. She was reluctant to go but was glad she did.

Shows were extremely short. They were ok. Cruise director Dan and assistant Colin were great and hilarious. I really liked the morning show and guys, I could care less if you shave before the program. Otherwise on board TV was not that great. Internet service was the worst I have ever experienced on a ship.

Overall I enjoyed the trip but WAS saddened by the missed ports. After many satisfactory trips on Princess I think that budget concerns have compromised the over all quality. I had a minor difficulty with the reservations line which was admirably handled by Stacey at the front desk.

Publication Date: 06/30/12