Norwegian Epic Cruise Review by MATHA531

Embarkation: Barcelona
Destination: Western Mediterranean
Cabin Category: T1

Very Port Intense Cruise
Well I did the Norwegian Epic cruise from 10 June to 17 June 2012 from Barcelona. For the most part, I can't really complain although I do have some complaints but then again I am a complainer.

EMBARKATION: Arrived in Barcelona a day early. Deliberately connected to arrive late so my hotel room would be ready and stay at the Hotel Colon near the Cathedral. Fine but I just didn't feel like touring Barcelona. The pick pocket reports have just scared me off. Taxied to the port early on Sunday morning. Arrived fairly early and embarcation was a breeze. Done in 5 minutes, in boarding group 2 and waited for a few minutes until I boarded.

CABIN: Travelling single, I have always found the 200% surcharge outrageous. So it's the studio for me. I don't find trhem charming, like some do. I don't find their lay out particularly enjoyable. It is really crowded there and my luggage would not fit under the bed and of course we know the inadequacies of not having to desk to write on or a fridge or any of the other stuff. Howevewr for a week, to save money, it is fine but I really prefer not being forced into that.

One complaint, though and this one in general. I don't know how much they pay for television service and I understand there have to be a Spanish, German, French, Russian, Japanese channel plus channels for the on bard interaction, the view from the bridge, the map, the spiels. That left four stations where they gave us BBC World, Sky News UK, some 24 hour sport station and the European feed of CNBC. With the large number of Americans, with the NBA and Stanley Cup fials going on, shouldn't they have ESPN America? Or CNN? One gets tired of hearing British news 24/7 on a cruise in the Med.

FOOD: Fine. Ate twice in Teppanyaki but the buffet was fine for breakfast and the main dining rooms for dinner. Lunches were usually on shore excursions.

Of course the complaint is why they would sell their soul to pepsi. I would agree most people don't care pepsi or coke. But those who do, by a wide margin prefer coke. I know, bring your own. But couldn't stuff a fridge pack of coke zero cherry into my luggage. Perhaps it was for the better not having soda all week.

ENTERTAINMENT: First rate, of course with Blue Man Group, Legends and the Cirque show but I do miss the Las Vegas type reviews and it is a pain to book in advance and only get one chance for some of the shows. Again, not complaining but just wondering.

PORTS: Very port intensive...five ports in 7 nights. Naples, Rome, Florence, Cannes and Marseilles. Very tiring but then again what's the sense of going if you don't go?

ON BOARD AMENITIES: Fine but then again it was so port intensive, it hardly seemed I was on the ship most days.

DISEMBARCATION: Fine....they called my colored tag and off I went. Not to bad a queue for the cabs to the airport.

Publication Date: 06/30/12