Carnival Freedom Cruise Review by glorialagos: Food food everywhere and not a bite to eat!

glorialagos
Member Since 2009

Compare Prices on Carnival Freedom Eastern Caribbean Cruises

Food food everywhere and not a bite to eat!

Sail Date: June 2012

`I really wanted to love this cruise and I did enjoy it a lot. There were lots of really good parts to it but overall, it was just lacking something.

Embarkation was super easy. We arrived around 10:45 and were on board by 11:30. I carried on two bottles of wine and a six pack of bottled water. No one even glanced at it or looked to see what else we had in our carry ons.

We went to Lido deck and began our adventure with long lines for everything. I really can't say if the food was good since I refused to spend my vacation waiting in lines for food. I would just choose the quickest option with the shortest line which usually turned out to be Indian food - yes, pretty good. They really need to add some other eating options or at least open all available buffets and extend hours. We did attempt to go to Posh for meals during the day but the times were so limited that we invariably missed it. We did manage one breakfast at Posh and it was nice. Room service More choices are extremely limited also.

The one food area that was excellent was the evening meal. This was always a treat. We had any time dining and never had to wait for a table for four. Service was excellent and the meals were always very good. I think my favorite was the bbq cornish hen and the prime rib was a close second.

The casino was not very good to us but that is what we expected. It was fun and not overly smokey.

We only made it to a couple shows. They were pretty good. The comedy shows were good. The basketball finals were playing on the big screen and that drew a big crowd. We were lucky to still have the past guest party - only 45 minutes but plenty of drinks and snacks.

There always seemed to be chairs around the pool. I really enjoyed watching the news on the big screen while sipping my morning coffee by the pool. If you want to find your own private pool - go to the spa/gym. There is a nice pool and whirlpool that no one was ever using and it was very nice. (you have to enter through the rest room - it is not marked)

The ports were all good. I liked not having to tender at any. We didn't have much time at Grand Turk but the others were all day and plenty of time to do lots. San Juan is a great port to just walk around. We did a segway tour and that was a highlight of the cruise.

Debarking was simple - we walked off with all our luggage at 7:00 am.

The huge negative about the cruise were the extremely long lines for food at all times. Many times, the food was there covered in plastic right behind the "Buffet closed" sign. The line for the wok was ridiculous. And the chocolate buffet? Unbelievable line that never got shorter until it closed. Constant lines just put a damper on my vacation.

Overall, this was a good cruise. The staff does an excellent job. The ports were good. If there were fewer lines and more food options, this could have been an excellent cruise. Less

Read more Carnival Freedom cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Freedom Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Freedom Balcony Empress

Can't beat Margaritaville - except Margaritaville with lower prices!!

Great port to just explore on your own - beautiful, lots of photo ops. We did a segway tour which I would highly recommend - lots of fun.
Read 1353 San Juan Reviews

We just walked into town and the beach - very convenient, visited Hard Rock, shopped, swam, picked up shells - plenty to do for everyone.

Took a taxi to Sapphire Beach, rented a jet ski, snorkeled, fed iguana - nice, relaxing beach day. Ended with a snack at Senor Frog's before getting back on the ship.
Read 2318 St. Thomas Reviews